ICloud Photos for photos added using Finder

With the end of My Photo Stream imminent, I am concerned about losing photos which I previously transferred from a pc. Is it true to say that any such photos which I have edited on my iPad will be safe (I.E. not removed) when I turn on iCloud Photos?

thanks

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 9:26 AM

Photos you have edited on your iPhone must have been saved to your iPhone. So they are safe.

iCloud Photos does not interfere with My Photo Stream, but turning on iCloud Photos will erase all photos that have been synced to your iPhone or iPad using iTunes or the Finder on a Mac.

You can easily recognize the synced photos that are in danger of being removed by iCloud. Synced photos cannot be deleted by you, so you will not be seeing the Trash Bin, when you select a synced photo. And they are shown in special albums "From My Mac". Check, if you are having imported duplicates for these photos, that will be erased, when yo turn on iCloud Photos.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2023 9:26 AM in response to Sausage man

Photos you have edited on your iPhone must have been saved to your iPhone. So they are safe.

iCloud Photos does not interfere with My Photo Stream, but turning on iCloud Photos will erase all photos that have been synced to your iPhone or iPad using iTunes or the Finder on a Mac.

You can easily recognize the synced photos that are in danger of being removed by iCloud. Synced photos cannot be deleted by you, so you will not be seeing the Trash Bin, when you select a synced photo. And they are shown in special albums "From My Mac". Check, if you are having imported duplicates for these photos, that will be erased, when yo turn on iCloud Photos.

Jul 18, 2023 9:25 AM in response to Sausage man

The photos in My Photo Stream are already stored on at least one of your devices, so as long as you have the device with your originals, you won’t lose any photos as part of this process. If a photo you want isn't already in your library on a particular iPhone or iPad, make sure that you save it to your library on that device. Or, you can set up iCloud Photos. 

Information about the My Photo Stream shutdown - Apple Support

ICloud Photos for photos added using Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.