download rosetta

I need a link to download rosetta for my silicone mac

MacBook Air, macOS 14.0

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 11:17 AM

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac - Apple Support

You don't need a link. If you do something that requires Rosetta 2, and Rosetta 2 is not installed, macOS will put up a dialog asking if you want to install it.

5 replies

Oct 7, 2023 2:35 PM in response to sheryl49

If the Mac shows the application type as Universal, that means that it includes native code both for Intel Macs and for Apple Silicon Macs. (Unless perhaps you're talking about a very old application that included native code both for PowerPC Macs and for Intel ones.)

Normally you would not need to run such an application under Rosetta. However, Rosetta cannot run mixed types of code within one process. So if you say, had the Universal version of Photoshop, and you had Intel-only plug-ins that ran directly within Photoshop, you might have to force the Mac to run Photoshop using Rosetta to make those old Intel-only plug-ins visible.

I've never heard of anyone running Safari using Rosetta just to use old Safari plug-ins. I assume the "Open using Rosetta" box is there for Safari just because it is there for every Universal application.

download rosetta

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.