Can I transfer photos to files and remove them from photos app while keeping them safe in files app?

If I transfer photos from my photos app to files (with iCloud), can I safely remove the photos from my photos app while keep them in the files app?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 1:12 PM

Yes. However, it's much more effective to transfer them to a PC or Mac, then to an external HD as an added backup.

I'm assuming you are trying to free up space in iCloud???

If so, you can definitely do that. However, if freeing up iCloud space is your goal, you'd have to make sure iCloud Drive is not on as well, or you store them in "my device" area of files so they don't sync to iCloud from your files folder.

Good Luck!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2023 1:12 PM in response to saana17

Yes. However, it's much more effective to transfer them to a PC or Mac, then to an external HD as an added backup.

I'm assuming you are trying to free up space in iCloud???

If so, you can definitely do that. However, if freeing up iCloud space is your goal, you'd have to make sure iCloud Drive is not on as well, or you store them in "my device" area of files so they don't sync to iCloud from your files folder.

Good Luck!

Can I transfer photos to files and remove them from photos app while keeping them safe in files app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.