Audio on Macbook not panning!

Currently, I'm preparing for a live show in a few weeks and I REALLY need my Macbook to be able to play audio correctly... everything is mono and it sounds horrible.

In Logic, I will pan my tracks hard left and hard right and nothing happens - it still sounds like it's coming from the middle.

Here are the things I've tried:

1. First I thought it might be the headphone output on my Focusrite Scarlett 4i4. I tested this by trying to play the audio through my monitors instead of using my headphones. Well, I had the same problem on the speakers, panning had no effect.
  2. My next thought was maybe the whole interface has got some screwed up setting if it's not just the headphone out. I played around with Focusrite Control, the audio interface software, but nothing seemed to fix it. I also to connect my headphones to my Yamaha mixer instead of my Focusrite to play back the audio, but that didn't make a difference.
  3. Before I actually lost my mind, I thought maybe this is my stupid DAW that got messed up. I noticed this issue in Logic and I have Ableton, so I played some audio there, but still SOL.
  4. Lastly, to be confident that it's an issue with my computer's audio setting, I just looked up a Youtube video of a person giving a tutorial on panning and the sound was not moving an inch to either side of my headphones.

What the heck is going on with my computer! Like I said, I have a show coming up that I'm preparing for and I really need this resolved ASAP!!! I do all my production on my Mac Mini and have no problems with that, but when I moved things over to my Macbook, I'm having all sorts of problems. I don't even know where to start to look on my Macbook for troubleshooting this audio configuration. Can someone please help?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 9:22 PM

Hi, and welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: Audio on Macbook not panning!

Am no audio expert, yet your request surely deserves some response, even if it only invites more participation.

Wondering which Mac OS version you are using .

Eg: To check audio Output Settings and the left / right balance slider setting

Monterey OS: Apple Menu (Black Apple : on left on top menu bar)> System Preferences > Sound > Output

or Ventura OS: Apple Menu > System Settings > Sound ...

Re: "everything is mono and it sounds horrible"

To check the Mac's mono / stereo setting has not been accidentally triggered:

Try Apple menu > System Preferences (or Settings) > Accessibility > Audio > (untick if ticked) Play stereo as mono

Audio quality: If you use the Logic Pro app:

Overview of the Dolby Atmos plug-in in Logic Pro for Mac - Apple Support

Troubleshooting the Mac's internal speakers:

Online article: If the internal speakers on your Mac aren't working - Apple Support

More info: (if not using MacOS Ventura : please choose your MacOS at top of article for accurate info.)

If you can’t hear sound from your Mac speakers - Apple Support

If needed:

How to: Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

All the best :-)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2023 9:22 PM in response to cars-on-fire15

Hi, and welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: Audio on Macbook not panning!

Am no audio expert, yet your request surely deserves some response, even if it only invites more participation.

Wondering which Mac OS version you are using .

Eg: To check audio Output Settings and the left / right balance slider setting

Monterey OS: Apple Menu (Black Apple : on left on top menu bar)> System Preferences > Sound > Output

or Ventura OS: Apple Menu > System Settings > Sound ...

Re: "everything is mono and it sounds horrible"

To check the Mac's mono / stereo setting has not been accidentally triggered:

Try Apple menu > System Preferences (or Settings) > Accessibility > Audio > (untick if ticked) Play stereo as mono

Audio quality: If you use the Logic Pro app:

Overview of the Dolby Atmos plug-in in Logic Pro for Mac - Apple Support

Troubleshooting the Mac's internal speakers:

Online article: If the internal speakers on your Mac aren't working - Apple Support

More info: (if not using MacOS Ventura : please choose your MacOS at top of article for accurate info.)

If you can’t hear sound from your Mac speakers - Apple Support

If needed:

How to: Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

All the best :-)

Audio on Macbook not panning!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.