Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP: Output Audio Keeps Failing

Something is causing my sound output to fail whenever I'm using Logic Pro X. I'm typically just playing with different instruments when it happens, but when it does sound just stops coming from my monitors and the audio level drops. This problem only happens while using LPX, but when it does it affects all sound from computer i.e. I wouldn't be able to play a youtube video; I'd just see a spinning circle.

To fix the problem I can either re-plug my audio interface (NI Komplete Audio 6) OR reinitialize core audio in Logic Audio Preferences. However, the problem has gotten very repetitive. I've looked into compatibility issues with my interface in OS Catalina, but NI has said that the new firmware is supported.

I can't recall having this problem before, but if I did it's gotten way worse since Catalina update. I've been up and down several forums to find posts describing similar problems, but the few posts that I've found, offer fixes that have all failed. Now I'm posting my first forum post hoping someone will come to the rescue.

Also, could be unrelated but based from several other forum posts I've found, I have reason to believe that the problem only occurs after mac book has gone to sleep. This could be possible, however the problems happens so sporadically it's hard for me to tell. I can say it typically happens when I start working on production, a lot more frequently, in the evening times opposed to practicing on logic factory piano.

I hope that's detailed enough that somebody can find a solution 🥵

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 9:54 AM

Personally.... I think it's a mistake to share an audio interface with the computers audio.

Try and experiment...

First reboot the computer.

Now, go to the Computer's System Preferences and set both the input and output to built-in audio.

Next open Logic's Preferences Audio and set the Input and Output to your NI Interface... set the I/O buffers to 128

Any better...

As you've discovered, Catalina seems to **** for audio MIDI.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2020 9:54 AM in response to ZAYWOODZ

Personally.... I think it's a mistake to share an audio interface with the computers audio.

Try and experiment...

First reboot the computer.

Now, go to the Computer's System Preferences and set both the input and output to built-in audio.

Next open Logic's Preferences Audio and set the Input and Output to your NI Interface... set the I/O buffers to 128

Any better...

As you've discovered, Catalina seems to **** for audio MIDI.

Jan 19, 2020 11:35 PM in response to ZAYWOODZ

A couple of thoughts,

Make sure that your energy settings in OS X are not letting your disk(s)sleep or drop connections. Turn off screensavers and sleep settings.

Run off power rather than battery particularly if you have usb peripherals drawing power

Are the instruments all logic ones or third party? Are they all full versions?

Jan 20, 2020 9:24 AM in response to Iaamusic

A combination of both, and yes they are all full versions. The problem has shown any relation to any specific plug-ins or instruments though. Last night, I realized my MIDI keyboard firmware needs to be updated. I will be testing to see if that was cause of the problem throughout the afternoon.

& I've been trying different energy setting throughout the week, however, that hasn't shown to help.

HELP: Output Audio Keeps Failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.