Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Migration Assistant for 2 Mac minis

I’ve bought a new Mac mini and want to transfer files etc from my current Mac mini. The instructions for Migration Assistant seem to require both to be connected to monitors. I only have one monitor, how can I use MA with only on device connected to a monitor?

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 8:16 AM

I can not say for sure but since both computers must have the Migration Assistant app running, I would first connect the monitor to the older Mac and turn M.A. on. Then I would connect the monitor to the newer Mac, turn M.A. on and then follow the instructions. also, connect the two Macs with a USB cable, not Wi-Fi. It's too slow. Give it a try. it should work. Then enjoy your new Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2023 8:16 AM in response to gevan

I can not say for sure but since both computers must have the Migration Assistant app running, I would first connect the monitor to the older Mac and turn M.A. on. Then I would connect the monitor to the newer Mac, turn M.A. on and then follow the instructions. also, connect the two Macs with a USB cable, not Wi-Fi. It's too slow. Give it a try. it should work. Then enjoy your new Mac.

Jul 19, 2023 8:26 AM in response to gevan

You can use most any HDMI TV with either of the Mac mini's.

However, beware that,

migrating over you local network is really slow and highly prone to fail

a direct Ethernet to Ethernet is more reliable but sadly still really slow

Your best bet, is to connect the old Mac mini's Time Machine backup to the new Mac mini and Migrate from it.

Migration Assistant for 2 Mac minis

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.