I cannot connect to ethernet on my MacBook Air

I have no trouble connecting to the internet with WiFi. Instead, I cannot connect with a hard-wired ethernet cable. I subscribe to Spectrum. When I go to Network, it says I am connected via USB 10/100/1000 LAN. The green light is on at the ethernet port but the orange light is not blinking. I cannot open any pages. Thanks for your help.

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 9:32 AM

Does it show ethernet is connected when you go to the Apple logo, system settings, network, ethernet?

MacBook Pros don't have an actual ethernet port as you already know, so you have to use an adaptor... have you verified that your adaptor is working? Does it work with other devices?

Try unplugging everything and plugging everything back in. Something may not be connected or plugged in completely.

Try restarting your Mac.

Please review this article: Troubleshoot an Ethernet device on Mac - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2023 9:32 AM in response to eburdick

Does it show ethernet is connected when you go to the Apple logo, system settings, network, ethernet?

MacBook Pros don't have an actual ethernet port as you already know, so you have to use an adaptor... have you verified that your adaptor is working? Does it work with other devices?

Try unplugging everything and plugging everything back in. Something may not be connected or plugged in completely.

Try restarting your Mac.

Please review this article: Troubleshoot an Ethernet device on Mac - Apple Support

Jul 19, 2023 8:55 AM in response to eburdick

eburdick wrote:

I have no trouble connecting to the internet with WiFi. Instead, I cannot connect with a hard-wired ethernet cable. I subscribe to Spectrum. When I go to Network, it says I am connected via USB 10/100/1000 LAN. The green light is on at the ethernet port but the orange light is not blinking. I cannot open any pages. Thanks for your help.

see if there is anything here—

Connect to the internet with your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 19, 2023 10:31 AM in response to eburdick

Usually this is due to a DNS problem.

The green light means that the connection is active, but when you try to reach, say, apple.com, you need your DNS server to convert that into the correct IP. If the DNS setting is incorrect, you cannot connect.

Go to System Settings->Network, select Ethernet, then click Details... select DNS on the left. What do you see?

Jul 21, 2023 6:47 PM in response to eburdick

What is the Ethernet cable from your adapter connecting to?

Give us all the equipment between then end of the Ethernet cable and the Spectrum coax cable. Modems, routers, switches, etc…

Note: if you are disconnecting your WiFi access device and plugging directly into the cable modem, as in only a modem, and not a router, that could be a problem.

Some ISPs lock onto the first devices MAC address (Media Access Control address, which looks like this nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn) it sees, and only the ISP can reset it.

Some ISPs allow power cycling the modem to latch onto a dew MAC address.

Then again, if you are plugging into a LAN Ethernet port on your router, that should work, and your router is connected to the cable modem.

Many ISPs provide a combination cable modem, router and WiFi device. It should have some LAN Ethernet ports.

And if you have a separate Ethernet switch, we want to know that as well.

I cannot connect to ethernet on my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.