You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'The recovery server could not be contacted' High Sierra

Posting as nothing else I've seen on here has helped. Resetting my older MacBook Pro but now when I go to internet recovery (alt + cmd + r) and try to reinstall, I get 'The recovery server could not be contacted.'

As I say, I've tried all suggestions I can: I've synced the clock, wiped the drive, changed the clock to a time near the launch.

Looking at the Installer Log, the errors read

OSISPredicateUpdateProduct: OS Installation Payload: Timed out loading catalog
OSISPredicateUpdateProduct: OS Installation Payload: No products found.
Predicate update product fetch failed with error: Error Domain=com.apple.OSInstallerSetup.error Code=300 "The recovery server could not be contacted." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The recovery server could not be contacted.}

I don't have another Mac I can use to make a bootable medium. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 3:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 10:12 AM

I had this issue as well, but I was able to install a newer OS version using the Opt + CMD + R key combo upon boot. Hopefully that helps someone out... I was stuck trying to install High Sierra when that wasn't even what I needed.

15 replies

Jul 22, 2023 10:15 AM in response to Clos3y

Fixed, after a great deal of pain.

1. I managed to source a Mac, running a newer version of macOS than that which I could install on my Mac, meaning I couldn't user the installer method.
  2. I found this Stack Exchange post about this problem, which lead me to maclinks.
  3. I could then make a bootable installer for Sierra, and then upgrade to High Sierra.

Apple can stuff one; it should not be this difficult.

Jun 10, 2024 6:13 PM in response to Clos3y

Thank you @hbrigger, I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out and the fastest, easiest, solution all along was Opt + CMD + R. I would still be spinning my wheels had I not seen this reply from you. I also attempted to create a bootable disk but my MAC that I was using is a brand new M3 and does not support older versions of MACOS so I was unable to download and create the bootable media to recover my older 2017 Model MAC. This needs to be easier but anyhow. Thank YOU!!!

Jul 20, 2023 4:33 PM in response to Clos3y

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

APFS won't work for Sierra, Sierra needs MacOS Extended Journaled. High Sierra won't work for APFS on earlier Macs.

What has often worked for others is to use this Restore Method instead of CMD+r keys...

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

2017 iMac failing to install Sierra in re… - Apple Community

Clean Install of High Sierra: Multiple Fa… - Apple Community

Dec 27, 2023 2:25 PM in response to Clos3y

Well, lucky you had that option…. I was only offered APFS formats on the drop down menu….

And glad i have not wasted more time looking for a way to format “mac os journaled whatever”

Just wondering what is being done when supposedly “recovery over internet” globe is progressing for about half an hour - i thought it was indeed downloading the full installer….

'The recovery server could not be contacted' High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.