Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Error Code 7008

I have a new MacBook Air (M1, 2020) on version 12.6 - purchased new 04/26/2022. I have an iPhone 12 on version 16.5.1 I connect the iPhone directly to the MacBook Air using the new USB C - Lightening connector cable that came with the iPhone. I open finder on the MacBook, on the left panel I see my iPhone listed under Locations and so I click on it. The Finder window displays: "An unknown error occurred (7008)."

Previous suggestions addressing this type of error recommended following instructions on: "If you see an error in Finder or iTunes on your computer". Following all those step does not address or resolve the problem.

Three calls with Apple Support did not resolve the problem. All they could suggest is for me to reinstall the operating system on my MacBook (with all the hassle and reconfigurations required after doing that) AND to reset and restore my iPhone to original factory settings (and then go through the tedious effort of reconfiguring settings, installed apps, etc., to where it was). And then try it again. That does not sound like a solution. That is the equivalent of "unplug it and plug it back in and try it again".

So let me ask: What does error code 7008 actually indicate? Alternatively, how can I connect my iPhone 12 to my Macbook Air so that it is recognized?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 1:36 AM

Reinstalling the OS on a Mac is not all that arduous, it involves accessing the recovery panel at startup and clicking the reinstall option.

The same can be said for your iPhone pretty much. The main "penalty" is time. It takes about 40 minutes for the Mac; I don't recall how long on the phone.

We've done both over the years, OS reinstall several times, and both it and resetting your iPhone are evolutions that are good to master. Whether we like it or not, there are times you just have to do them.

"Alternatively, how can I connect my iPhone 12 to my Macbook Air so that it is recognized?" That's what the re-installations should allow are they not?

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2023 1:36 AM in response to dhandjh

Reinstalling the OS on a Mac is not all that arduous, it involves accessing the recovery panel at startup and clicking the reinstall option.

The same can be said for your iPhone pretty much. The main "penalty" is time. It takes about 40 minutes for the Mac; I don't recall how long on the phone.

We've done both over the years, OS reinstall several times, and both it and resetting your iPhone are evolutions that are good to master. Whether we like it or not, there are times you just have to do them.

"Alternatively, how can I connect my iPhone 12 to my Macbook Air so that it is recognized?" That's what the re-installations should allow are they not?

Error Code 7008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.