Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

How to identify and update info for hundreds of tracks from old mix CDs in itunes

I use Music on my iPhone 11 and Music was populated by an iTunes library that lives in the cloud and on a 2011 MacBook. Years ago, I imported songs from mix CDs that would receive names like “Track01” by unknown artist. I have literally hundreds of different Track# songs and it takes forever to manually identify and update info for every one of these songs. Is there a program that automatically recognizes the untitled/unknown songs and updates their title and artist info, either on my phone or my computer? On my computer (remember, 2011 MacBook), iTunes is too old to add things like iTunes Match. I’ve searched and haven’t been able to find this specific answer. Thanks!

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 5:19 AM

If these were user-made mix CDs, I don't think Gracenote lookup would have worked on the CDs. Presumably it is matching according to something like the number of tracks, and the exact length of each track. Even then it's not guaranteed to always return the correct information.

Shazam can recognize many songs, but one would have to play them out loud for it to hear. I don't believe there is an easy way to run any sort of batch Shazam recognition job against an entire iTunes/Music library.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2023 5:19 AM in response to javaliga

If these were user-made mix CDs, I don't think Gracenote lookup would have worked on the CDs. Presumably it is matching according to something like the number of tracks, and the exact length of each track. Even then it's not guaranteed to always return the correct information.

Shazam can recognize many songs, but one would have to play them out loud for it to hear. I don't believe there is an easy way to run any sort of batch Shazam recognition job against an entire iTunes/Music library.

How to identify and update info for hundreds of tracks from old mix CDs in itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.