Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I need to remove activation lock on my macbook air and can't contact previous owner

I purchased the machine, added myself as a user, used it for months and then went to update the OS and I was locked out. I had no way of knowing the machine had an activation lock when I bought it, and I'm sure the seller just didn't think of it.

There is an erase option for if you don't have the previous users information, but it doesn't fix the problem

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 12:58 PM

Erasing a device does not remove activation lock. Activation lock is to assure that nobody can steal a device and take it over. The only way to remove an activation lock is either via the original owner removing it from iCloud.com/find or with the original proof of purchase and using the link online: How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

I'm really sorry. I know that's not good news.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2023 12:58 PM in response to salimbag

Erasing a device does not remove activation lock. Activation lock is to assure that nobody can steal a device and take it over. The only way to remove an activation lock is either via the original owner removing it from iCloud.com/find or with the original proof of purchase and using the link online: How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

I'm really sorry. I know that's not good news.

Apr 18, 2024 5:13 PM in response to oscsau

oscsau wrote:

I'm just wondering given there is no solution to the pro with activation lock and given Apple can't help to get on contact with the person who owned the laptop, then is it easy to sell out for parts as something like display might not need the activation lock?

PS: sorry Apple but your policy is pretty hopeless as if the product is stolen you can't even give it back to the rightful owner and just the device needs to be thrown out.

This Mac is indistinguishable from a lost or stolen Mac, if it is not actually a lost or stolen Mac.

The owner has the opportunity to post a lost message if they want, and to locate it if they want.

Apple isn’t going to get involved with determining the owner of a lost or stolen device.

That can well be fodder for harassment or thievery or worse, too.

The following effectively also applies to Mac: The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

If you want to send your feedback to Apple—they may or may not read postings around here—send it directly.

Here is how to send: Product Feedback - Apple

Some percentage of postings of this question are probably posted by the thieves, too. Nobody here can tell.

Jul 21, 2023 12:57 PM in response to salimbag

Click on this link to read about activation lock for Mac--> Activation Lock for Mac - Apple Support

Apple has two related features, Activation Lock and Find My ( iCloud+ - Find My - Apple ), which are designed to prevent anyone else from using a device if it's ever lost or stolen. Deactivation of either requires knowing the Apple ID and password that set the feature, or by placing a special request to Apple to reset the device. This Apple ID information essentially defines the current ownership of the device.

If you do not know the required information, are not the signed-in owner, or do not have Apple accepted proof of purchase, get the owner of the account to remove the lock (What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support ), or return the device for a refund, or recycle the device. The device is otherwise useless to you. If the owner is unknown and has not provided contact information as a message showing in the login screen, there is no way to contact the owner unless the person who gave you the device knows them.

Here are additional resources if you are the account owner, can find the previous device owner, or have an Apple accepted proof or purchase:

● Read this article to learn how to remove Activation Lock either on the device itself or on the web --> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

● Help with a lost Apple ID or password:

• For help with a forgotten Apple ID (this is likely an active email address or one used in the past), click here --> If you forgot your Apple ID email address or phone number - Apple Support

• For help with a forgotten Apple ID password, click here --> If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

● Reset device if you can prove to Apple's satisfaction you are the owner:

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. This is done online* at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not provide many details in the article as to what is acceptable proof. Prior to this official service Apple typically required the original receipt** issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the first owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership transfer). Note that while this will let you get use of the device again, it will not help you with lost access to an account.

* There is a special link for this service. To save time you should use it instead of https://getsupport.apple.com/ .

**Apple recommends you keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device. --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

Apr 19, 2024 4:33 AM in response to oscsau

oscsau wrote:

Good I'm happy for them to find me cause if it's stolen they can have it back and if not at least I can use it and if that's not possible then I can dismantle and sell it for parts.

April 11, 2024: Apple to expand repair options with support for used genuine parts

"Apple will also extend its popular Activation Lock feature to iPhone parts in order to deter stolen iPhones from being disassembled for parts. Requested by customers and law enforcement officials, the feature was designed to limit iPhone theft by blocking a lost or stolen iPhone from being reactivated. If a device under repair detects that a supported part was obtained from another device with Activation Lock or Lost Mode enabled, calibration capabilities for that part will be restricted."

They're going to allow repair shops to reuse genuine, reused parts without triggering things like the "this is not a genuine Apple screen" warning. But they're also extending Activation Lock to parts. So you might want to think twice before selling anyone parts from an iPhone that might be stolen.

P. S. - Although that's about iPhone parts, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple eventually did something similar for Mac parts.

Apr 18, 2024 4:59 PM in response to salimbag

I'm just wondering given there is no solution to the pro with activation lock and given Apple can't help to get on contact with the person who owned the laptop, then is it easy to sell out for parts as something like display might not need the activation lock?

PS: sorry Apple but your policy is pretty hopeless as if the product is stolen you can't even give it back to the rightful owner and just the device needs to be thrown out.

Apr 18, 2024 5:23 PM in response to oscsau

oscsau wrote:

It's actually a pretty good policy that you will find on all Apple devices. The original owner is still capable of tracking the device, so they know exactly where it is. Even without WiFi, the location is updated whenever another Apple device comes within Bluetooth range. The original owner holds all the power and also offered privacy protections by not being able to trace the device back to them. That is the way it should be!

Apr 18, 2024 6:52 PM in response to oscsau

oscsau wrote:

This solution worked pretty well for car stereos. Thieves used to love breaking into cars and ripping off someone's nice cassette player or CD player or whatever.

Then the car stereo makers started equipping them with passcodes. Interrupt power (as a thief would need to do to steal the stereo), and the stereo will never work again unless you know and supply the proper passcode. Which the thief won't know … making a stolen stereo with this anti-theft device a useless "brick".

Just as a stolen Mac or iPhone that is Activation Locked is a useless "brick".

Apr 19, 2024 2:09 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

Good I'm happy for them to find me cause if it's stolen they can have it back and if not at least I can use it and if that's not possible then I can dismantle and sell it for parts.

I'm just surprised Apple cannot tell any further. I bought it cause the battery was faulty and hence it would not turn on but now it's like a brick.

At least Apple can call the owner and let them know I've got the laptop. I'm happy if that's the case.

At this stage it's a guesswork it's stolen and just going to sit there collecting dust.

Apr 19, 2024 4:47 AM in response to oscsau

I meant to say I'm not sure if it is stolen or not and interesting that even Apple can't tell me that.

Yes they can cause parts to also have activation lock too I understand. Anyway if I don't hear from the owner or authority in a month then I'm guessing it's not stolen and person who sold it to me faulty doesn't want anything to do with it.

And yes the battery is faulty. Glad I didn't pay much to me honest.

Apr 19, 2024 6:51 AM in response to oscsau

oscsau wrote:
At least Apple can call the owner and let them know I've got the laptop. I'm happy if that's the case.

That's never going to happen. As already stated, the original owner is in control and can come and get the device if it is logistically possible and they feel safe in doing that. Apple is not going to be a middleman and set you guys up to exchange information. What a privacy nightmare! Are you aware of the extortion/blackmail crimes where people receive messages claiming to be from Apple and telling them that there device has been found? When an owner marks the device as lost they can also provide contact information when found, only if they wish to do so. For those that do, many times the thieves will contact them claiming to be Apple to get their personal account information or worse to arrange a meeting.

Apple, being a privacy centric company, has the right approach by telling users that they will never contact them if there device is stolen and if you receive a call from someone claiming to be from Apple, it is a scam. The owner has all the power by being able to track the device, erase it, or provide contact info only if they wish to do so.

For you, the choice is yours, but you will never be able to use the computer. If you want the best chance for the owner to be reunited, then turn it over to the Police or a public lost and found where they would feel comfortable going to and pick it up. If you cannot return the device to recoup your money and want to try and part it out, then go for it. The other option is to simply give it to a recycler to keep it out of the landfill.

I need to remove activation lock on my macbook air and can't contact previous owner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.