Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

cannot type in Launchpad search bar | esc key won't escape after Ventura security update

The following problems started happening after installing the latest Ventura security update 13.4.1 (c) on my 2020 M1 Mac Air.

When I click on the Launchpad icon in the dock, Launchpad opens. When I type the name of an app in the Search window, no characters appear. I exit Launchpad.

However, what I typed in the Launchpad Search window appears in the a) body body of text editors (Pages 13.1 or TextEdit 1.18) or b) in the address bar in whichever browser I'm using (Firefox 115.0.2, Safari 16.5.2).

If I'm in a text editor when I try to search for an app, the text I searched for appears in the body of the text.

If I'm using a browser when I try to search for an app, the text I searched for appears in that browser's address bar.

Just now, while in the "provide more details" window, whatever is typed in the Launchpad Search window appears here ___

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 2:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 6:30 AM

El-Cid wrote:

The following problems started happening after installing the latest Ventura security update 13.4.1 (c) on my 2020 M1 Mac Air.

When I click on the Launchpad icon in the dock, Launchpad opens. When I type the name of an app in the Search window, no characters appear. I exit Launchpad.

However, what I typed in the Launchpad Search window appears in the a) body body of text editors (Pages 13.1 or TextEdit 1.18) or b) in the address bar in whichever browser I'm using (Firefox 115.0.2, Safari 16.5.2).

If I'm in a text editor when I try to search for an app, the text I searched for appears in the body of the text.

If I'm using a browser when I try to search for an app, the text I searched for appears in that browser's address bar.

Just now, while in the "provide more details" window, whatever is typed in the Launchpad Search window appears here ___

I can not reproduce your issue—

You can try shutting down and rebooting...

A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2023 6:30 AM in response to El-Cid

El-Cid wrote:

I can not reproduce your issue—

You can try shutting down and rebooting...

A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

cannot type in Launchpad search bar | esc key won't escape after Ventura security update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.