SSD for iMac G4

I just got an old iMac g4 for free, but the hard drive is dead. Would anyone know of a drop in replacement ssd with or without an adapter for under 50 bucks?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 10:44 AM

⚠️ You must use the term "drop-in" carefully with the G4 iMac. Their innards are no slam-dunk to work on.

Read the details of working inside a G4 iMac. If the heat dissipation system is not properly reinstalled and certain torque settings for screws are not observed, the computer can fry soon after the next power-up.

Find a self-service site and carefully read the reassembly instructions for that model or you could have a handsome doorstop with expensive new parts inside.

The firm den.thed links (and whom I would also recommended) has instructional videos but not for that old an iMac. You'll need to dig deeper. Web-search for "iMac G4 takeapart."

Also, if you will be running macOS 9, your need to keep the boot volume under 200 GB or it won't boot. Back in the day when I worked on a lot of OS9 Macs, I used 195GB to be safe.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2023 10:44 AM in response to conrad140

⚠️ You must use the term "drop-in" carefully with the G4 iMac. Their innards are no slam-dunk to work on.

Read the details of working inside a G4 iMac. If the heat dissipation system is not properly reinstalled and certain torque settings for screws are not observed, the computer can fry soon after the next power-up.

Find a self-service site and carefully read the reassembly instructions for that model or you could have a handsome doorstop with expensive new parts inside.

The firm den.thed links (and whom I would also recommended) has instructional videos but not for that old an iMac. You'll need to dig deeper. Web-search for "iMac G4 takeapart."

Also, if you will be running macOS 9, your need to keep the boot volume under 200 GB or it won't boot. Back in the day when I worked on a lot of OS9 Macs, I used 195GB to be safe.

SSD for iMac G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.