Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Can’t log with Apple ID on my iPad mini with IOS 12.5.7

Hello everyone.

Recently I decided to start using again an old iPad (mini 2) which has the IOS 12.5.7 in it.

Only problem is it won’t take my Apple ID. Once I try it, it says that I can only use my Apple ID in devices with IOS 15 or superior.

Does anyone have a solution for that?

PS - I saw a topic asking about the same subject but, since no one replied to it in a while, it is closed.

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 4:28 AM

Do you have other iPad/iPhone (or Mac) devices - upon which you have enabled Advanced Data Protection and/or Account Recovery features?

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Advanced Data Protection

If you have enabled these features on any of your devices that are running iOS/iPadOS 16.2 or later, you will not be able to sign-in with your Apple credentials on any devices that are not running iOS/iPadOS 15.x or later.

If you disable iCloud Advanced Protection on all your devices, you will be able to sign-in on your older iPad.

Should you wish to continue use of iCloud Advanced Data Protection, you will need to first disable Find My on the older device - then fully sign-out from iCloud - before enabling Advanced Data Protection for the newer devices. You can then continue use of the older device(s) using a different AppleID.

How to turn on Advanced Data Protection for iCloud - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2023 4:28 AM in response to ciro199

Do you have other iPad/iPhone (or Mac) devices - upon which you have enabled Advanced Data Protection and/or Account Recovery features?

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Advanced Data Protection

If you have enabled these features on any of your devices that are running iOS/iPadOS 16.2 or later, you will not be able to sign-in with your Apple credentials on any devices that are not running iOS/iPadOS 15.x or later.

If you disable iCloud Advanced Protection on all your devices, you will be able to sign-in on your older iPad.

Should you wish to continue use of iCloud Advanced Data Protection, you will need to first disable Find My on the older device - then fully sign-out from iCloud - before enabling Advanced Data Protection for the newer devices. You can then continue use of the older device(s) using a different AppleID.

How to turn on Advanced Data Protection for iCloud - Apple Support

Jul 23, 2023 7:33 AM in response to ciro199

You will not be able to setup Account Recovery or use other Advanced Data Protection features while a pre-iOS/iPadOS15 device is signed-in to your AppleID account.

If these features are required with your other compatible devices - for your pre-iOS/iPadOS15 devices you will need to turn-off Find My iPad (or Find My iPhone) so as to disable the related Activation Lock - and then sign-out from your AppleID account on these devices.

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] >

• Find My > Find My iPad | iPhone - set to OFF
  • Sign Out

After signing-out, you can continue to use the older devices - but you’ll need to setup and use an additional/separate AppleID with them. You might then consider using Family Sharing - allowing you to where selectively share purchased Apps, subscriptions and Apple services with the new AppleID:

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

How to create a new Apple ID – Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-set-up-family-sharing-iphone-ipad

Can’t log with Apple ID on my iPad mini with IOS 12.5.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.