iTunes not syncing personal library

iTunes (Windows) is refusing to sync my personal library of mp3 to my iPhone 13 unless they were purchased from Apple. My library has taken decades to accumulate from CDs, LPs (yeah, I’m old) and other sources on the web. They all get synced, but unless they were purchased from Apple, all the clips are greyed out with a message ‘not available in your area’ and are unplayable. Is Apple assuming that a song sourced elsewhere is ‘pirated’?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 1:33 PM

Boandzulu,

Unless you have a subscription to iTunes Match or Apple Music, then you must use direct syncing via a USB connection, as described in the "PC" section in here:

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support

Try that and let us know how it works.

6 replies

Jul 26, 2023 12:56 AM in response to Boandzulu

Boandzulu wrote:

The fact that other family iPhones can make a solid problem-free connection to iTunes and mine can't, added to the numerous 'not available in your area' messages, had me thinking Apple was merely expressing its disapproval of my personal library (not paranoid much?).

I very much doubt it.

Nor is there an assumption that your music is pirated. There will be an explanation, but it won't be anything like your current thoughts.

I would try signing out of your Apple account and then sign in again. You may think that my suggestion is irrelevant because it's not iTunes Store purchases that are affected, but:

1. an error, such as the store's computer* thinking the music is from them rather than any other legitimate source, is far more likely than revenge
    2. it's worth trying, you have nothing to lose and all to (possibly) gain

* for the "store's computer ", read that over-used-but-highly-fashionable word, algorithm.

Jul 26, 2023 1:09 AM in response to the fiend

... and here's an example of how computers can "go wrong":

Notice the 1 that I've highlighted.

I didn't put it there, nor did it appear in the editor as I typed it. I did use the auto-numbering feature, which put in the other 1 and the 2.

It will be an algorithm somewhere that put the extra 1 in when it was posted, not a nefarious agent of the underworld.

Of course, it would be a good idea if Apple sorted that bug out (after all this time) as the current situation (whereby what is posted is not what I could see in the editor and not what I intended to be posted) could lead to misunderstanding or misinterpretation. What's worse is that if I opt to edit the post after publishing, that phantom 1 still doesn't appear in the editor.

Jul 25, 2023 9:10 AM in response to ed2345

Many thanks for the feedback. I had previously tried all your suggestions with no success. The fact that other family iPhones can make a solid problem-free connection to iTunes and mine can't, added to the numerous 'not available in your area' messages, had me thinking Apple was merely expressing its disapproval of my personal library (not paranoid much?). Anyway, I know think its actually a hardware problem with my phones lightning connector. I'm booked in for a service tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Jul 25, 2023 10:51 AM in response to Boandzulu

Anyway, I know think its actually a hardware problem with my phones lightning connector. I'm booked in for a service tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Boandzulu,

A common cause of problems with Lightning in iPhones is lint accumulation near the contacts. See if you can gently clean it out and perhaps avoid a service visit.

Jul 27, 2023 8:30 PM in response to the fiend

Many thanks to 'the fiend'. My phone has been fully serviced (they found absolutely nothing wrong!) so, fearing the worst, I did exactly what I'd done a dozen times before: same computer, same cable. Only this time I followed the fiends suggestion and signed out from my music account.

Without Apple Music 'looking over my shoulder' everything clicked. Bottom line, all 1400 of my audio clips are now safe and snug on my iPhone.

My thanks to all!

iTunes not syncing personal library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.