sync photos without icloud storage

Is it possible to automatically sync photos and videos from a mobile device to my iMac without the need to store them on iCloud? Its just that my iCloud space is getting large and as they are backed up to my NAS drive as well, it seems a waste.

Thanks

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 9:30 AM

Not automatically. You can keep the Photos library on your Mac identical to the library on your iPhone by connecting your iPhone to your Mac with it's USB cable and lets the library import art new photos on the iPhone to your Mac.

Are you storing your Photos library on the NAS or just the image files? If it's the library that won't work as the NAS is the wrong format to store the library on without damaging it. If you're only storing your image files on the NAS there's no problem.

Photos libraries MUST be stored on volumes formatted either APFS or Mac OS Exteded (journaled).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2023 9:30 AM in response to Alex in devon

Not automatically. You can keep the Photos library on your Mac identical to the library on your iPhone by connecting your iPhone to your Mac with it's USB cable and lets the library import art new photos on the iPhone to your Mac.

Are you storing your Photos library on the NAS or just the image files? If it's the library that won't work as the NAS is the wrong format to store the library on without damaging it. If you're only storing your image files on the NAS there's no problem.

Photos libraries MUST be stored on volumes formatted either APFS or Mac OS Exteded (journaled).

sync photos without icloud storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.