i have problem with the macOS update, current i using MAC OS with version OSX Yosemite.

I have the Problem Regarding my MAC Book Air 2015

current version is OSX Yosemite which is no able to support APP Store.

i tried to download the BIG Sur with .dmg files from others 3rd party website and create as boot USB still unable to work.

can any one help me download the macOS BigSur.dmg from App store and provide me the download link?

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 1:44 AM

Hamsterray wrote:

i tried to download the BIG Sur with .dmg files from others 3rd party website and create as boot USB still unable to work.

That sounds like the hard way to do things, if just going through Sierra first will work.

can any one help me download the macOS BigSur.dmg from App store and provide me the download link?

I wouldn't mess around trying to find a direct link, if going through Sierra lets you use the App Store one. Going from Yosetime to Big Sur (or Monterey) is going to be a huge jump. So make a bootable backup before you start, in case you need to recover.

And don't be too alarmed if some of the upgrades take a L-O-N-G time. Or if the Mac is slow at first, afterwards. The new version of Spotlight might decide to re-index your disk.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2023 1:44 AM in response to Hamsterray

Hamsterray wrote:

That sounds like the hard way to do things, if just going through Sierra first will work.

I wouldn't mess around trying to find a direct link, if going through Sierra lets you use the App Store one. Going from Yosetime to Big Sur (or Monterey) is going to be a huge jump. So make a bootable backup before you start, in case you need to recover.

And don't be too alarmed if some of the upgrades take a L-O-N-G time. Or if the Mac is slow at first, afterwards. The new version of Spotlight might decide to re-index your disk.

Jul 25, 2023 12:24 PM in response to Hamsterray

Hi, Hamsterray, your MacBook Air from 2015 should be able to upgrade/update to Catalina, according to this link from Apple : macOS Catalina is compatible with these computers - Apple Support (CA)

please note that Catalina breaks all support for 32- bit apps/ software/programs. If an app/piece of software/ program has all or some 32-bit stuff in it, it won’t work/run. You’d need to find a Catalina/64-bit compliant app/piece of software/program , or an equivalent/alternative for it to work in Catalina… you have been advised, that being said, Catalina should be in the App Store… use this link+ Safari to download it, as it goes directly to the App Store, other browsers may work, but you’ll have to point ‘em to the App Store for it to work, so here it is: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Oh, and Yosemite has a bug in it- wifi doesn’t work, so plug in your Ethernet/internet cable directly into your MacBook Air 2015 which you’ll probably need an adapter for+ set your Network to Ethernet, if you haven’t done so already

John B

john B

Jul 26, 2023 1:22 AM in response to Hamsterray

You can upgrade an Early 2015 MacBook Air to Monterey, but no further.

macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

If you are on Yosetime now, and are using Safari as your (default) Web browser, and the App Store upgrade links in this Apple Support article don't work, you may need to upgrade in stages.

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

E.g., download the macOS Sierra (10.12) installer, since that just involves downloading a file, not going through the App Store. Install Sierra. Then use Sierra to access the App Store, and upgrade to Big Sur (or Monterey).

Jul 26, 2023 1:33 AM in response to Johnb-one

Given that

• Catalina won't run 32-bit applications
  • Catalina is no longer one of the most recent three versions of macOS
  • The OP's MacBook Air can run Monterey

I'd skip Catalina entirely.

If the OP wants to preserve 32-bit applications, I'd suggest upgrading to High Sierra or perhaps Mojave. It will still be hard to find new application software, but not nearly as hard as I imagine it must be with Yosetime.

If the OP wants to get security patches and run current applications, Big Sur and Monterey are the choices, with Monterey probably being the better choice.

Catalina has the disadvantages of both worlds, and is probably the worst choice available (short of remaining on Yosetime or El Capitan).

i have problem with the macOS update, current i using MAC OS with version OSX Yosemite.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.