iMac 27" late 2015 has major bluetooth issues after Monterey install

My iMac is late 2015 27" 4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 2Tb 32gb.

It was working perfectly on Mojave and becuse of the need to upgrade certain apps it spurred me to move on to 64 bit pure OS I went for Monterey.

The install went fine but it soon became apparent to me that something was awry as my magic mouse and keyboard were not working properly. They were working but not as they should.

The mouse was connecting and moving the cursor and left clicking...but was not scrolling or allowing right click manoeuvres.

The keyboard was fine except for some wrong or non responding function keys.

I checked the bluetooth icon in the menu bar and it was struck out...

I turned bluetooth on in the drop down menu but the icon remained struck out.

The fact that the mouse and keyboard were working even with bluetooth turned off made me suspicious.

I tried to open the preferences from the bluetooth menubar drop down menu but I got the message 'Could not load Bluetooth preference pane'.

This also happened when I tried to open the Bluetooth preference pane from 'System Preferences'.

I checked that the 'pane' had been installed into the Library/Preference pane folder and it was.

I then went online to look for solutions (including this forum) and tried all of the solutions offered

I did the terminal 'sudo pkill bluetoothd'...no joy.

I removed the bluetooth plist from Library/Preferences and restarted but no joy.

I started in 'SafeMode' and the bluetooth problems were the same.

I then restarted from Safe into Normal... still no joy.

As readers will know the bluetooth menubar app cannot be reset using the shift/alt/click when in Monterey so that obviously didn't work.

I am of the opinion that the programmers, who built Monterey, made a huge arror concerning bluetooth and that perhaps they have made the bluetooth module problematic in some older Macs, like the late 2015 iMac.

I am now using a usb keyboard and mouse instead of the Apple 'magic' ones. Unfortunately the malfunctioning bluetooth will not allow my bluetooth speeaker to connect.

I

was talking to another imac 2015 user who has experienced exactly the same thing and has also tried all of the offered solutions... not sure if Apple actually appreciate the bluetooth problems that Monterey has caused.

My computer is fast and capable so there is no to swap it for a new one.

Has anyone even more solutions than those already up on this forum.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 11:45 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 27, 2023 10:49 AM in response to Mike Gilchrist

We have two Macs on Monterey, 2015 and 2016, both have operated beautifully with every version of it.

You are obviously having problems, but problems on your Mac does not mean problems on every Mac. Neither does a sample size of n+2

Have you tested your Mac with diagnostics? I'd start there: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Pending the results of that, solutions may be offered here by those more familiar with BT and its quirks.

Jul 30, 2023 11:32 AM in response to ku4hx

Thank you for your input, but your 'beautiful' 2 experiences with Monterey upgrade and bluetooth does differ to many others on this forum and on outside it.

Yes, my Mac has been tested with diagnostics, yes I have spoken with Applecare advisers, yes I do know about all of the bluetooth eccentricities.

I admire your obvious support of Apple, (I have been using them since 1984 and have supported other users of them since 1988), but they do occasionally make mistakes and judging from the many problems that people have had on upgrading to Monterey especially with subsequent bluetooth issues (do check online this forum and outside if you doubt me), they have done so with this OS upgrade. It seems to be an issue with certain iterations of the bluetooth modules used in various models of Macs (desktop and laptop) from late 2015 - 2017.

Again, thank you for the input, but maybe a bit less patronising next time?

Dec 1, 2023 3:18 PM in response to ku4hx

I bought 3 computers with the same exact configuration as the user above. I verified my two kids computers and mine were ordered together and at the same time from the Avalon Apple Store. ( all 3 Say iMac, Retina 5K, 27 inch,Late 2015 Processor: 4 GHZ Quad core Intel I7 Memory: 32 GB 1867 MHZ DDR3 Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M395 2 GB) 2 of these are used for heavy video editing and have dual thunderbolt Promise Pegasus 8 Bay Raid array's (Total of 4), also bought from the Apple Store at the same time, one of the 3 does not. I have tried everything suggested before and been walked through with Apple twice (I also paid for the APPLE Care package but don't even have an idea of how it works but I got working once on one machine but at first reboot, days later, bluetooth does the same thing, it only shows Magic Keyboard and Magic mouse as "connected wirelessly via bluetooth" but only while plugged into USB cable so were now having to take two of our needed usb ports for mind you, I bought 3 newer keyboards and 3 Magic Mouses)and now using a store bought wired mouse to use each of the computers. It stopped showing incorrect passkey after my most recent update (Monterey 12.7.1) and shows each of the keyboard and the mouse in the Bluetooth display only if plugged into usb. and yes the batteries are fully charged and not burnt out, they work fine when used with other newer and older iMacs in the house and batteries are at 100 percent. Super frustrating, quite aggravating and with all we bought that Christmas my Apple bill when paid was close to $24,000. I do drone editing and occasionally need to unplug either mouse or keyboard to connect to our 2 Mavic 3 Cine versions and I have also been through 4 iPhones in 4 years, and my two kids just as many and purchased so many iPads, iPad Pros and keyboards and Macbook Pros, Airs and chargers and blocks that I am ready to throw in the towel and go to something different over this issue. I have another friend going through same issues as posted and it sounds like he's about done too. SUPER frustrating, aggravating and I don't upset easily. I was an IT director for 8 years with a large telecommunications company and know hardware and software. So when someone says well I have 2 of the almost same exact things and they work beautifully, it sounds like you're telling me and the other customer involved, and I'm sure yours do work properly but I have 3 in my house we were using quite often,one daily, one my Sons, the other my daughters, and now are taking up space on desks, I get agitated. I'm sure there are many, many others just like me that have never posted a thing on here before, and just are doing as I have and patiently waiting for enough phone calls to right the error, the wrong. The error in coding, each one downloaded and same thing wasting an hour being hopeful on three $6000 machines even though was several years ago, you have to give up on the company you once had great faith in. Sorry Apple, Im done

iMac 27" late 2015 has major bluetooth issues after Monterey install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.