What if I keep the macbook pro connected while working, but put the power off at night?

What if I keep the Macbook pro connected while working, but put the power off at night and let it sleep? It is a Macbook Pro 15 2018. Battery is quite alright, cycles at 196. I think the battery goes down by ~2% for about 9 hours sleep. So, if I plug it in in the morning, around 9 o'clock, it'd just go to 100% and stay there until late night. Is it good or bad?

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 3:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 3:58 AM

It's neither. Let the battery circuitry handled battery management; that's its job. Charge it when you need to, run on batter when you need to and if you leave it on charge all the time there is no harm.

4 replies

Jul 26, 2023 7:14 AM in response to chdsl

chdsl wrote:

The MBP is going to sit in the same place all day and night most of the time. It will not be used as a portable computer, if at all rarely. What troubles me is whether to plug it off at night, re-plug it in the morning. Anyway, at that time, it'd be. sleeping.

Leaving the computer plugged in will not damage the computer or the battery. As already stated by ku4hx, let the computer manage the power/charging system. You don't need to try to micro manage what the MacOS does very well.

Jul 26, 2023 8:39 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I am new to Mac, so the question. I have a Lenovo with Windows, which I turned off every evening. It. has 1575 battery cycles, and still going well at 75% battery level, 5-6 hours a day from charge to charge, 20% to 100% twice a day. Considering a MBP, it has such a small battery.

Maybe, my question had been asked frequently here. Anyway, like you guys said, I'm going to let the MBP manage the battery like Lenovo did with its battery.

What if I keep the macbook pro connected while working, but put the power off at night?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.