Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Managed Wi-Fi networks on iOS 16.5.1c cannot be deleted in settings

There is no minus delete circle or ability to forget managed Wi-Fi networks in iOS. Auto Join also re-enables after being disabled. The “Done” option is not available, only “Cancel.” Performing a reset of network setting also does not delete managed Wi-Fi networks. This is a bug.

iPhone

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 11:18 AM

Yes, I don’t have any of those carrier apps on my phone and haven’t in years. I am not as stupid as my username may indicate.

Resetting my network settings removed all known networks EXCEPT the managed networks that I’m trying to get rid of (along with many other people in unresolved threads).

This is a manufacturer issue that Apple needs to fix.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2023 11:18 AM in response to MrHoffman

Yes, I don’t have any of those carrier apps on my phone and haven’t in years. I am not as stupid as my username may indicate.

Resetting my network settings removed all known networks EXCEPT the managed networks that I’m trying to get rid of (along with many other people in unresolved threads).

This is a manufacturer issue that Apple needs to fix.

Sep 7, 2023 9:33 AM in response to jefbak

This is indeed a bug and not covered by SravanKrA’s advice above as these “Managed” networks do not show up in the original Wifi list. Nor do they have the “Forget this network” button. One thing to try is Settings -> VPN & Device Management, and delete a profile that may have added them. However, there are still ISP added managed networks like “spectrum or attwifi” even if att is no longer your ISP. Its a bug and should be addressed.

Aug 3, 2023 10:54 AM in response to CoolWeasel

CoolWeasel wrote:

I have the same problem, and I do not have any old carrier apps installed.

They should be, but are not getting removed after switching carriers and removing the apps.

Have you removed all carrier apps, and checked again?

If after that removal of all carrier apps then still shows carrier Wi-Fi entries listed, reset network settings, and check again.

Nov 7, 2023 10:44 AM in response to jefbak

I am also having this problem from the UK. Have just switched networks (carriers) and so I can’t connect to the free WiFi hotspots my new provider offers until I can get the old key work out of managed networks on my iPhone. Can you please say when this will be addressed as it is slowing my work down and really can’t be a difficult fix to implement. Thanks.

Apr 27, 2024 9:37 AM in response to Joe Swinehart

Joe Swinehart wrote:

It is not a bug… It is just a poor user interface. Those are managed networks, so you apparently can't remove them from the Wi-Fi settings. You have to go into Settings -> General -> VPN and Device Management.

Those Wi-Fi networks are usually loaded either by installed carrier apps, or by carrier settings loaded by Apple and the carrier.

While profiles can absolutely exist and be used here, there is seldom an added profile in recent iOS and iPadOS versions, though that profile mechanism was often the case in years past prior to the carrier settings mechanism.

Managed Wi-Fi networks on iOS 16.5.1c cannot be deleted in settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.