Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone 11 call volume very low

When I use my iPhone's built in speaker to make or receive a call, the volume is very low. It works fine on "speaker phone" and in the car using Blue Tooth. I have tried to adjust the volume during the call and the increase is barely perceptible. I have tried to reboot the phone with no effect. I have tried to toggle the mute button (I keep the mute off) with no success. I have tried toggling the "switches in "Sounds and Haptics" in Settings and no success. Does anyone have any ideas, or should I just go to Apple Store?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2024 10:42 AM

I am having the same issue as several others with the volume on my iPhone 11. The problem started when I did an update like 3 updates ago. I think there is an issue with the volume in one of the updates.

15 replies

Apr 4, 2024 5:25 AM in response to rtovarjr

I'm having the same issue. When sliding the sound and haptics slider it can hear it just fine. But when in a call or trying to listen to a voicemail the volume is so low I can BARELY hear it. I have tried restarting and many many of the other tips here. I don't know what the issue is but seems to have started with the last update, or maybe the previous one (I don't get many calls). The volume on EVERYTHING else is just fine. Notifications, playing video, etc etc no problem at all. I've checked for blockage and all that also. When in a call or listening to a VM speakerphone works fine.

Jul 28, 2023 10:46 AM in response to rtovarjr

Hi there rtovarjr,

If the volume of your receiver is lower than expected, these steps from If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker can help resolve what's happening:

1. Remove all screen protectors, films, or cases from your device. 
2. Check the speaker opening to see if it's blocked or dirty. On iPhone only, make sure that the receiver isn't blocked or dirty. 
3. If necessary, clean the speaker or receiver opening with a small, soft-bristled brush. Make sure that the brush is clean and dry.
4. Go to Settings > Sounds (or Settings > Sounds & Haptics), and drag the Ringer and Alerts slider back and forth a few times. If you don't hear any sound, or if your speaker button on the Ringer and Alerts slider is dimmed, your speaker might need service.
5. If you hear sound, try making a call with your iPhone and turn on speakerphone. On iPad or iPod touch, make a FaceTime call. If you still can't hear, or hear static or crackling, then your network or reception could be the issue. Try to call again later, or from a different location.

If this continues after following those, then we would recommend contacting Apple Support next to look into service options. Reach out using this: Get Support

Take care!

Apr 2, 2024 10:39 AM in response to rtovarjr

I am having exact same issue! Girlfriend pleaded with me to update phone a few weeks ago (drives her mad that I never trust updates!) ..... and what do I get out of it .... being yelled at by my same girlfriend because I can never hear her... this is actually not a terrible issue, I suppose ;)

But for real, I can't hear anyone talking on max volume....

Apr 23, 2024 5:02 AM in response to rtovarjr

When I use my iPhone's built in speaker to make or receive a call, the volume is very low. It works fine on "speaker phone" and in the car using Blue Tooth. I have tried to adjust the volume during the call and the increase is barely perceptible. I have tried to reboot the phone with no success. I have tried toggling the "switches in "Sounds and Haptics" in Settings and no success. Can it be resolved by own , or should I just go to Apple Store?

iPhone 11 call volume very low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.