Restore ipod

how do you restore an apple ipod that is second generation? I've had it plugged in and it should be fully charged after 24 hours but cannot seem to get it to turn on and do anything???

iPod nano

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 12:54 PM

If the iPod is fully turned off (as opposed to sleep mode), there is usually some indication that it is being charged. Usually, shortly after power is applied, the iPod will indicate that it is being charged:

• for non-screen iPods (e.g. Shuffle, which I am not too familiar with), I assume the power light will be on (orange) and change colour (to green) when fully charged
    • for iPods with a screen (for example a 6th generation iPod Touch), when the iPod first senses power being supplied, the screen will turn white with the Apple logo, and there may be a beep from the iPod. My 6th gen Touch will power up, but if I recall correctly, some models (especially if fully drained) will not power up, even when charged. In this case you need to long tap the power button to start the power up process

If the battery was fully drained and left that way for longer than a day or so, and the iPod unable to power up, it may take up to half and hour before the iPod shows any signs of life.

If you have had the iPod on charge for 24 hours and it doesn't power up (using the long-tap step noted above), have you checked that the power supply is working and powerful enough to charge up the iPod? Have you also confirmed that the cable that you're using is in good condition. If the cable is frayed or broken (especially where the cable enters either plug) it may not be able to charge the iPod.

Finally, if the iPod has been left without power for a long time (several months for example), the battery may no longer be able to accept a charge.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2023 12:54 PM in response to paws420

If the iPod is fully turned off (as opposed to sleep mode), there is usually some indication that it is being charged. Usually, shortly after power is applied, the iPod will indicate that it is being charged:

• for non-screen iPods (e.g. Shuffle, which I am not too familiar with), I assume the power light will be on (orange) and change colour (to green) when fully charged
    • for iPods with a screen (for example a 6th generation iPod Touch), when the iPod first senses power being supplied, the screen will turn white with the Apple logo, and there may be a beep from the iPod. My 6th gen Touch will power up, but if I recall correctly, some models (especially if fully drained) will not power up, even when charged. In this case you need to long tap the power button to start the power up process

If the battery was fully drained and left that way for longer than a day or so, and the iPod unable to power up, it may take up to half and hour before the iPod shows any signs of life.

If you have had the iPod on charge for 24 hours and it doesn't power up (using the long-tap step noted above), have you checked that the power supply is working and powerful enough to charge up the iPod? Have you also confirmed that the cable that you're using is in good condition. If the cable is frayed or broken (especially where the cable enters either plug) it may not be able to charge the iPod.

Finally, if the iPod has been left without power for a long time (several months for example), the battery may no longer be able to accept a charge.

Restore ipod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.