Please help ASAP. Clicked on Facebook pop-up. Said mobile data needs switching on. I clicked but it was on - hack?

Hi. I was browsing Facebook when a pop-up appeared to say something like I needed to switch on mobile data to use Facebook. There was an Settings option on the pop-up.

I thought I must have mobile data settings switched off (I was already using WiFi) off, BUT when I clicked on the pop-up it took me straight to the mobile data settings on my iPhone. BUT when I looked the mobile data settings were already ON. Have I been duped and hacked. Will someone steal my data?

I almost immediately switched off both WiFi and Mobile Data options on iPhone and then ran a malware scan on the mobile, which didn't pick up anything.

iPhone 11 iOS Version 16.5.1

Thank you. No sleep tonight for me then.

iMac 27″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 7:08 AM

Clicking on even a malicious link in itself is generally benign.

The fact that you didn’t actually change any settings or provide any personal info / credentials likely kept you safe.

That said, contrary to your post, you should be running iOS 16.6.

Similar questions

3 replies

Please help ASAP. Clicked on Facebook pop-up. Said mobile data needs switching on. I clicked but it was on - hack?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.