Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

HomePod won't factory reset

My original HomePod was showing as Installing in the home App. It couldn't talk to any HomeKit accessories. I Removed it from the Home App successfully. Then I tried a factory reset by unplugging for 10 seconds , Plugging it back in, and holding the top with a finger. It beeps but never shows a red light. It's no longer in the home app. It still can play music from my library. It thinks it is connected to the home because it tries to perform commands but claims the accessories are not responding. There is a HomePod mini acting as hub, that works fine. iPhones also work fine

How do I get it to factory reset?

HomePod

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2023 3:55 PM

I keep hearing that 17.1 broke some of the HomePods. Isn't there some kind of responsibilities from Apple on this matter ? I had to buy a brand new one to regain control of my home. I unplugged mine for weeks, replugged it and nothing happened.

42 replies

Jan 15, 2024 7:24 PM in response to ChalieWhite

Well it is a hardware issue to some degree - it's just that it's in combination with software. Apparently some devs and QA testers didn't do their due diligence to make sure the software update works with the older hardware (unless there are people with 2023 homepods that are also getting bricked, in which case who knows, but I didn't see any reported here).

Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done because there's no way to update the homepod without having internet access, and it can't get access without starting up properly. You'd have to send it in for repairs, but that costs almost $300 unless you have applecare still active on it. So the best bet is for Apple to come clean, admit they messed up, and compensate those of us who got screwed.

Jul 29, 2023 10:03 AM in response to jimleo

Did you follow the process exactly as stated here? Reset HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support:

Reset HomePod or HomePod mini

1. Unplug HomePod or unplug the power adapter for HomePod mini. Wait 10 seconds, then plug HomePod back in.
  2. Wait 10 seconds, then touch your finger to the top of HomePod and hold it there.
  3. The white spinning light will turn red. Keep your finger down. 
  4. Siri will say that your HomePod is about to reset. When you hear three beeps, you can lift your finger.

tt2

Dec 24, 2023 11:34 PM in response to jimleo

Mine has almost the same problem (and it's NEVER worked well - in the past Siri would "answer" when I'm not talking to it, wouldn't find playlists sometimes, and now this). First gen. Volume lights flash like every 10 secs. I removed it from the Home app and unplugged it. When I plug it back in and tap and hold on the white light, it turns red but then does nothing. Volume lights begin flashing again and Siri never says anything. I've tried this multiple times. Such a piece of garbage. Apple software in general has gone to **** in the last 10 years.

Apr 21, 2024 8:48 PM in response to jimleo

I’ve been successful with factory resetting 4~5 times over past 4 years. This time nothing after following procedure explicitly. …unplug, replug, 10 secs, white light, red light, finger, 3 beeps ….(hopeful) then nothing. So after Homewood knew all my contacts, podcast preferences, directions, which shops I use plus listened to all our conversations, it’s got enough out of me so nothing left but to self imploded. kcuf!

I think they’re wired to expire after a certain time, or after a certain amount of resets. Home environment same, haven’t given it any extra tasks. An observation : noticed lately it wasn’t able to connect to internet even though every other device can. I can only think it’s fatiguing, Apple’s way of saying “buy our next model” ❤️‍🩹 + 😖🤬😡

Mar 8, 2024 6:49 PM in response to Sta1212

This problem kicked my *** for a while. Below is a paste from a TuringTest2 post above. The 10 second thing after plugging in was clutch:

1. Unplug HomePod or unplug the power adapter for HomePod mini. Wait 10 seconds, then plug HomePod back in.
  2. Wait 10 seconds, then touch your finger to the top of HomePod and hold it there.
  4. Siri will say that your HomePod is about to reset. When you hear three beeps, you can lift your finger.

Mar 8, 2024 7:19 PM in response to Sta1212

This problem kicked my *** for a while. Below is a paste from a TuringTest2 post above. The 10 second thing after plugging in was clutch:

HomePod won't factory reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.