Macbook pro battery draining quickly.

Specs:

Apple M1 Macbook pro 14" 2021

Battery health information:

Cycle count: 29

Condition: Normal

Maximum Capacity: 97%

Recently, my battery has gone from a full charge to 50% within minutes. Once it hits ~50%, it will just shut off. This wasn't an issue until recently which has been ongoing for 4-5 weeks. Primarily, I've seen suggestions for a SMC reset which involves turning off the laptop, closing the lid for 30secs, and then powering back on for M1 chips laptops. It doesn't seem to have worked. Just looking for alternative troubleshooting methods as I'm currently traveling a lot and can't handover my laptop to be looked at just yet. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Kamanzi's Everyday Carry

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 10:08 AM

First please read If your Mac battery runs out of charge quickly - Apple Support.

Although that document does not address it directly, you should also investigate any particularly energy-intensive apps or processes that may be contributing to rapid battery depletion. View energy consumption in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support describes that subject in greater detail. For an even better description read View CPU activity in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support.

Post some screenshots of Activity Monitor if you wish.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2023 10:08 AM in response to ramamuk

First please read If your Mac battery runs out of charge quickly - Apple Support.

Although that document does not address it directly, you should also investigate any particularly energy-intensive apps or processes that may be contributing to rapid battery depletion. View energy consumption in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support describes that subject in greater detail. For an even better description read View CPU activity in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support.

Post some screenshots of Activity Monitor if you wish.

Jul 31, 2023 7:22 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you for the resources but this doesn't support the extreme drop-off displayed in my first screenshot. Looking at the screenshot, we have the 12 bars between 6am and 9am representing 15mins for each one. Within the first 15mins of 6a, it looks to be 80-85% charged and drops to 50% immediately. I have only been using chrome primarily as I'm not using this laptop for work during my travels. That doesn't seem right. Also, is there a better application to track energy impact that's 3rd party? I get the higher numbers are bad and lower numbers are good, but how bad is an impact score of 200? How much higher can it go? Is 200 even bad if it's for a demanding application? There is not a proper measurement being used.

I'll also be sure to monitor my usage periodically as well this week. Here is the screenshot of the Energy section of Activity Monitor:

Macbook pro battery draining quickly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.