Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Understanding Mac storage figures

I am trying to understand the MAC HD figures I see in system settings/general/storage. I have just added my wife as a second user and to date she hasn’t used the computer. If I look at storage under General I see the following. If my wife is logged in it shows 97.8 of 245gb used ( it shows other user as 45.65) If I am logged in it shows 152.96 of 245gb used (other user 74.75) I don’t understand why the total used isn’t the same regardless of who is logged in and I don’t understand when I am logged in it shows other user so high when she hasn’t even used the computer yet

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 1:39 PM

To make things a little more complex, from what I understand the newer APFS (Apple File System) does some things to make file management more efficient, but it can be confusing. Say you create a 10 GB file. You copy it to change it but keep an original. The new one takes up almost no space... but will have the changes. If you delete one or the other of the 10 GB files, you get back very little space. Not sure if there is a way to know how much you do get back.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2023 1:39 PM in response to Josieb47

To make things a little more complex, from what I understand the newer APFS (Apple File System) does some things to make file management more efficient, but it can be confusing. Say you create a 10 GB file. You copy it to change it but keep an original. The new one takes up almost no space... but will have the changes. If you delete one or the other of the 10 GB files, you get back very little space. Not sure if there is a way to know how much you do get back.

Jul 30, 2023 7:39 AM in response to Josieb47

All of the values displayed in any of those built-in "Storage" tools are bogus. Don't look at them at all. At best, you will only get confused. At worst, you'll take some action with possibly catastrophic results.

These user interfaces are designed for Apple's "ideal" user. This is someone who has purchased a premium device with at least 500 GB of storage. They have a single user account on the device.

Unfortunately, you have deviated from that ideal usage. Your hard drive is too small. You've compounded that problem by adding a second user. You are likely to have storage problems in the future. Please do not use Apple's built-in storage tools to resolve those problems. They won't help you.

The only useful built-in storage information you have is in Disk Utility. Use this to keep track of your free storage. If you start to run out of storage, you will need to take action. You can purchase more iCloud storage and configure Music, Photos, and iCloud Drive to fully utilize that iCloud storage. You will have to pay monthly for this. Did you think you were going to save money with a smaller hard drive? 😄

Note that in many place, you may see "available" storage displayed. This is not the same as "free" storage. This is another area of great confusion among users. It is very common for people to run out of storage while still having many hundreds of gigabytes "available". You will experience this, I'm sure. You cannot delete your way out of this problem because you cannot actually delete files. This situation normally resolves itself after a couple of days when Apple's system deletion tools run and finally erase the files that you've flagged for deletion.

In the future, buy a separate computer for each user. Never buy a hard drive smaller than 500 GB. 1 TB would be much better. You can use an external drive for Time Machine (which I recommend) and for archiving important files. But I don't recommend trying to use any kind of external drive for other purposes. It won't be a good experience.

Jul 30, 2023 12:40 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks for your reply, I do use a separate hard drive for Time Machine, I have a family Apple storage plan, that at the present is sufficient for our needs. Virtually all our photos and files are stored on iCloud so I have no need for anything greater than 250gb. So I disagree that my hard drive is too small. I will take your advice and just use disk utility in the future.

Jul 30, 2023 1:03 PM in response to Josieb47

Josieb47 wrote:

Thanks for your reply, I do use a separate hard drive for Time Machine, I have a family Apple storage plan, that at the present is sufficient for our needs. Virtually all our photos and files are stored on iCloud so I have no need for anything greater than 250gb. So I disagree that my hard drive is too small. I will take your advice and just use disk utility in the future.

In the U.S., 200GB iCloud is $2.99/month and 2TB iCloud is $9.99/month. Those come to $36/year or $120/year. The alternative is to obtain a larger internal drive and store your information locally on the internal drive.

The last time I checked, an extra 250 GB (total of 500 GB) was $200 on a new iMac, and an extra 750 GB (total of 1 TB) was $400, and an extra 1750 GB (total of 2 TB) was $800.

So if you plan to use your Mac for ~ 3 years, the iCloud approach might be less expensive, while if you plan to use your Mac for 7 years or more, getting more internal storage might be less expensive.

There are also other factors. For instance, when most of your files are in iCloud, when you obtain a new computer or device, all those files are immediately available; when stored internally on the Mac, they must be manually migrated.

Jul 31, 2023 5:24 AM in response to Josieb47

In retrospect I don’t think Etresofts reply was very helpful. I have done some more research. The problem was caused by my not understanding the difference between available space and free space, and thus purgeable space. In my case as I understand now the purgeable space consists of Time Machine Snapshot files, they are set up (by me) to be created every hour but are deleted automatically after 48 hours, or sooner if required by the system. You could if you wanted delete these files manually. For him to say my hardrive is too small was misleading as this is not the case, also it now appears that Apples built in storage figures are totally reliable

Aug 1, 2023 1:58 AM in response to etresoft

Just to reinforce, how misleading I found your reply, yesterday I changed how often Time Machine backs up from once an hour to once a day and reverted to a single user. The change to the user made no difference but the change to the back up frequency has resulted im the free space showing, BOTH on Disc Utility and the Apple storage figure an increse from 70.7gb to 147.7gb. I would refute the advice you gave me that the size of my hard drive is untenable, and that Apple Storage tools are bogus. Clearly I have sufficient disc space and the All the Apple storage figures are compatable.

Aug 1, 2023 7:27 AM in response to Josieb47

Josieb47 wrote:

Just to reinforce, how misleading I found your reply

You might want to do more research on that. This kind of confusion about storage with recent versions of macOS is one of the most common questions posted here in the forums. I rarely even reply to them anymore because it is so tedious and difficult to explain.

Your reply is unusual, and curiously so. It is possible that your question was sincere. But there does seem to be some malicious activity in this thread, so I won't reply again. If your question was sincere, then I wish you good luck and caution you to never trust people on the internet. You never know when stalkers are lurking. Well, almost never.

Understanding Mac storage figures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.