Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Pair Apple Watch 8 Cellular with iPhone 12 ProMax w/o cellular plan?

I have five lines on Verizon, my iPhone 12 ProMax is paid-off now... wondering if I can cancel my single iPhone's cellular plan and still pair it with an Apple Watch 8 Cellular? End goal is Apple Watch 8 cellular will become my primary connected device.

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 1:41 PM

I do not believe that is possible. The carriers typically charge an additional fee for the cellular watch in addition the the paired iPhone's monthly charge. You do not have to setup the cellular feature of the watch's but I don't see how you can do it the other way around.

2 replies

Aug 1, 2023 7:01 AM in response to javajoe6

You pair the Apple Watch with the iPhone, and SHARE the iPhone’s number. For this phone number sharing, the carrier adds a monthly fee to your iPhone bill. I think Verizon adds $10/month to your iPhone bill.

The Apple Watch is not a standalone device.

There is the Apple Watch Family Plan, where a parent’s iPhone is used to control a dependent child’s Apple Watch. The child’s Apple Watch lacks features, because the child does not have an iPhone. And no, your trick would not work here, as the Apple Watch is associated with the other iPhone that does have a cellular plan.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768

Pair Apple Watch 8 Cellular with iPhone 12 ProMax w/o cellular plan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.