determining printer IP address used by configured printer MacOS 13.4.2

After a series of storm caused power failures last night, Canon MF644C color printer, one of two printers, will no longer communicate with either iMac (27" 2021 Intel based with 13.4.2 installed) or MacBook computers. Printer queue shows "searching for printer". Printer IP address is x.x.1.12 and it can be pinged from both computers. I believe that the problem is the IP address of the printer configured in each computer, BUT I can't figure out how to determine that address, or how to reconfigure the installed printer SW. Both machines print to another Canon BW printer, which pretty much eliminates the network connection as an issue. Any insight or assistance would be greatly appreciated

iMac 27″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 6:31 PM

Many printers have a way to print out a configuration page that shows the IP address. This is done through the printer controls on many of them. You might want to check the manual for your printer to see how to print the config or setup page. If it has a display on the printer, you could also find the network section and verify the IP address it has programmed in it.

Example: https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-0257-zz-SS-enUV/contents/09020023.html

And support Here: https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/color-imageclass-mf644cdw

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2023 6:31 PM in response to paul4accokeek

Many printers have a way to print out a configuration page that shows the IP address. This is done through the printer controls on many of them. You might want to check the manual for your printer to see how to print the config or setup page. If it has a display on the printer, you could also find the network section and verify the IP address it has programmed in it.

Example: https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-0257-zz-SS-enUV/contents/09020023.html

And support Here: https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/color-imageclass-mf644cdw

Aug 3, 2023 10:03 AM in response to paul4accokeek

Just re-add the printer again to see if the "new" printer works (give it a slightly different name from the old one unless you first delete the old printer from macOS).

If the printer is on a local subnet with your computer, then don't use an IP address to connect since IP addresses can change. This how Air Print (formerly Bonjour) worked. If you want to use an IP address, then make sure your router is configured to reserve that IP for that device (some routers allow this, but most do not).

Have you tried to reboot both the printer and your Mac? Many times a simple reboot can fix things.

Aug 1, 2023 6:52 PM in response to Randall_2023

Apparently my original posting was not clear. I know the IP address assigned to the printer, which is xxx.xxx.1.12. However I can't seem to determine what IP address is being used by the printer entry on the individual Apple computers, a MacBook and a 27" 2021 Intel based iMac. What would be most helpful would be a way to either detrmine the IP address for the installed printer on each Mac or a way to reinstall the printer on each Mac using the current IP address on the printer. Thanks for your answer, but it really dosen't help as I already know the IP address assigned to the printer

Aug 3, 2023 1:16 PM in response to HWTech

Bingo!

Your suggestion about deleting the printer and then re-adding it after a reboot, worked like a charm and I now have the printer available.

What started me down this configuration rabbit hole, was a simple announcement on the printer control panel that the IP address had changed..After updating the firmware on the printer and rebooting both printer and iMac and trying to figure out (fruitlessly!) how the printer IP address was stored on the iMac, yoiur simple solution saved the day. Something I probably should have thought of earlier.

Many thanks!

determining printer IP address used by configured printer MacOS 13.4.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.