Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

my off button on my ipad air 5th gen shattered and now touch id is broken

ive never dropped my ipad i have put in a protective case and i woke up and the touch id was broken i dont have applecare so ik it wont be worth it to fix but now it has a third of the trade in value can anyone help with how much it costs to fix to see if its even worth it

iPad Air

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 4:25 AM

Your broken iPad TouchID button will require repair. It is a common misconception that an iPad (or iPhone) can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons.  The Top button of your iPad fulfils multiple functions, including the biometric TouchID sensor.

Whilst Accessibility features (such as assistive touch) can be used to augment the User Interface, these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system recovery actions. Sooner or later, you may encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

Until repaired, you may not be able to resolve a locked-out (disabled) iPad - or reset a forgotten device passcode.

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

Before committing to the cost of repair, which without benefit of an AppleCare+ plan will be substantial, you might be best advised to have your iPad assessed at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where you can explore your available options. You may decide that replacement of your iPad may be more cost effective:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2023 4:25 AM in response to yosef164

Your broken iPad TouchID button will require repair. It is a common misconception that an iPad (or iPhone) can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons.  The Top button of your iPad fulfils multiple functions, including the biometric TouchID sensor.

Whilst Accessibility features (such as assistive touch) can be used to augment the User Interface, these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system recovery actions. Sooner or later, you may encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

Until repaired, you may not be able to resolve a locked-out (disabled) iPad - or reset a forgotten device passcode.

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

Before committing to the cost of repair, which without benefit of an AppleCare+ plan will be substantial, you might be best advised to have your iPad assessed at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where you can explore your available options. You may decide that replacement of your iPad may be more cost effective:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

my off button on my ipad air 5th gen shattered and now touch id is broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.