Whatsapp image file names

Hello,

I'd appreciate assistance with the following question about how WhatsApp names image files saved to an iPhone's Photos folder.

My iPhone saves photos taken by the camera sequentially, following the format IMG_0001.JPG with ascending numeration.

When someone sends me a picture via WhatsApp, I have it set to save automatically into my iPhone's Photos folder.

The problem occurs when I download my image files to my Windows desktop. When I view the file names of the downloaded images, the images taken by me (using the iPhone's camera) implement the IMG_XXXX.JPG naming format -- but the photos that originated from WhatsApp have random names such as AJXQ8273.JPG.

Does anyone know why the WhatsApp file names are getting random names? Is there any way to have the WhatsApp images stored on my iPhone with the IMG_XXXX.JPG naming format and not the random file names it currently uses?

Thank you in advance,

Lisa

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 9:20 AM

Your phone will just save the images with the file names that is given to it. You have the option to rename after that. You would need to contact WhatsApp to inquire about setting the filename before it is saved on your phone.

3 replies

Aug 1, 2023 2:28 PM in response to lisqui

WhatsApp has a different app for Android than it does for iPhone. Only they have the answer to your question. This has apparently been going on for over 5 years from this same post using the same wording and same filenames.

WhatsApp image file names - Apple Community

The pictures have to be given a name by WhatsApp before it is saved, this is not done by the iPhone. Your only option is to provide feedback to them on the iOS version of their App and if they listen, they will update the app with the recommended changes.

Whatsapp image file names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.