Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uninstalled Java but it still shows up in Terminal

I had downloaded both the JDK 20.0.2 and the Java 8 Update 381 on my MacBook Pro M1 2020 version macOS Monterey 12.2.1 to run a program that required Java. However, I couldn't run it no matter what I tried as it kept saying "Unable to load Java Runtime Environment" - I even asked a question about it on the Community just a few hours ago. Then, I had the genius idea to uninstall all the java programs I have downloaded to start anew, thinking I had made a mistake while downloading it. I downloaded "Java Uninstaller" and indeed uninstalled it since I cannot see the java icon on my System Preferences anymore. However, when I typed "java --version" on the Terminal to see whether I really uninstalled Java or not, I saw this:

java 20.0.2 2023-07-18

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 20.0.2+9-78)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0.2+9-78, mixed mode, sharing)

If I have indeed uninstalled Java, then why does it still pop up in my Terminal? How can I get rid of JDK 20?

Would greatly appreciate any help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 7:54 AM

4 replies

Uninstalled Java but it still shows up in Terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.