Photos app stuck on "closing the library." Is there an actual solution?

My Photos is stuck "Closing the Library." Previous threads say to just Force Quit the program, and there are no problems or issues when relaunching. This is what I am experiencing as well.

Problem solved? Is this the accepted solution to this problem? Or will my Photos app always need to be shut down like this from this point forward?

Is this really what Apple has in mind for their software?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 9:45 AM

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2023 9:45 AM in response to armadillo777

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Photos app stuck on "closing the library." Is there an actual solution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.