airdrop disabled in ios 16.6

for some reason, i can’t access airdrop at all after i updated my phone. i have an iphone 11 and an ipad air 5th gen. also updated my ipad and airdrop is also disabled. it wont let me press and hold to select who can send me a picture. i also dont have the option when i select a photo from my camera roll to send. the airdrop function doesn’t show up and i cant find it anywhere. it worked before i updated

iPhone 11, 16

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 4:13 PM

12 replies

Aug 2, 2023 1:32 PM in response to ae018

Hi ae018,

Let's check to see if you're able to turn on AirDrop in Settings. Here are instructions:

"To choose who can see your device and send you content in AirDrop:

Go to Settings, then tap General.

Tap AirDrop, then choose an option."

How to use AirDrop on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you're still having trouble after trying that, we'd suggest contacting Apple Support so that they can investigate this further for you: Get Support

Cheers!

Aug 2, 2023 2:41 PM in response to ae018

Hello ae018,

If restarting the iPad using these steps found at Restart your iPad - Apple Support do not help, we would suggest reaching out to Apple Support using this link: Get Support 

How to restart an iPad without a Home button
1. Press and hold either volume button and the top button until the power off slider appears.
2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the top button until you see the Apple logo.

Have a good day.

Aug 18, 2023 4:41 AM in response to InsertPithyUsernameHere

After a call to Apple support last night, we inferred that the issue's cause is my outdated OS Catalina. He tried several things (most I'd already tried and failed) but no-go. He encouraged me to attempt an Airdrop from my iPhone 13 to another Apple device (my neighbor). I just "upgraded" from a 2009 Macbook to this 2012 (Catalina max) one so my iPhone would appear in the Finder. That's all I essentially needed w/an upgrade. This allows me painless mp3s uploading for a change, putting the unfriendly Apple Music out of my life for good. Mission accomplished there, but here comes the endless process of iPhone vs Macbook obsoleting. My iPhone 13 is waaay out of balance w/a 2012 Macbook Pro in that regard. I'm too old for this game and will limit my software upgrading per usual. As far as Air Drop is concerned, I'll email .jpgs to myself like the good ol' daze.

Time to take my mp3s out for another walk. :D

airdrop disabled in ios 16.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.