Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

White Screen on iPhone after iOS 16.6 Update

All of a sudden my screen started flickering and now the screen is stuck with white screen. Is anyone facing the same. I see lot of similar display issues raised by people after software updates.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 2:00 AM

You may try some of these steps, please check after each step...

1. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Turn off your iPhone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  2. Follow the Apple article to resolve the issue --> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen ...
  3. If not resolved; please follow the steps in the following link for support with this issue: If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly
    1. You still see a black screen after charging, force restarting, following the steps in this article.
    2. You see a black screen, but you can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
    3. The screen remains black, but the device chirps when you unmute it and connect it to power.
    4. Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond when you tap, slide, or try other gestures. 
    5. You can't force your device to restart because a button is broken or stuck.
    6. Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.
  4. You can put your iOS device in recovery mode, then restore it using your computer. ---> If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it is recommended to reach out to Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your device model and iOS version.

Similar questions

71 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2023 2:00 AM in response to shahbazma

You may try some of these steps, please check after each step...

1. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Turn off your iPhone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  2. Follow the Apple article to resolve the issue --> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen ...
  3. If not resolved; please follow the steps in the following link for support with this issue: If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly
    1. You still see a black screen after charging, force restarting, following the steps in this article.
    2. You see a black screen, but you can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
    3. The screen remains black, but the device chirps when you unmute it and connect it to power.
    4. Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond when you tap, slide, or try other gestures. 
    5. You can't force your device to restart because a button is broken or stuck.
    6. Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.
  4. You can put your iOS device in recovery mode, then restore it using your computer. ---> If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it is recommended to reach out to Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your device model and iOS version.

Aug 1, 2023 10:27 PM in response to SravanKrA

There is nothing more to add other than what I have specified above. For you question, No physical damage or no exposure to water, it started suddenly.

I agree that intention of software update is to enhance the user experience and device performance, but what people are getting these days is display issues after update. Also I can agree if this issue is only faced by me, but just search in community or in any social media platform you'll see lot of similar issues.

Sep 20, 2023 11:09 PM in response to shailesh200

Same here. The screen turned green and that’s it. I went to Apple care and they asked money for screen replacement regardless there was no physical damage to my phone whatsoever. This happened since I updated to iOS 16.6.1. There used to be a time when Apple’s customer support was top notch which totally complimented the money we would pay for a freaking phone. I am literally losing confidence in Apple products now. I am afraid for my other iOS devices too now. I didn’t even upgrade to iOS17. God know what **** iOS 17 would loose if I upgrade.

Aug 1, 2023 10:14 PM in response to shahbazma

shahbazma Said:

"Anyone facing white screen issue after 16.6 update?: All of a sudden my screen started flickering and now the screen is stuck with white screen. Is anyone facing the same. I see lot of similar display issues raised by people after software updates."

-------

Troubleshooting a White iPhone Screen:

Try Swiping-Down from the top-right corner of your screen. See if that rids of this window. If not, I'd say the iPhone is stuck in a boot loop(because it was updating), or is simply frozen. So, if swiping down does not work, refer to the following... Use MY User tip: How to Fix an iPhone in a Boot Loop - User Tip

Aug 1, 2023 10:17 PM in response to shahbazma

Updating iOS on your iPhone should typically not alter the fundamental functionality of the device. In general, iOS updates are designed to enhance the user experience, improve security, and fix bugs, rather than introducing major disruptions to core features. The reported issue of the screen flickering and displaying a white screen after an update is likely caused by factors that are not explicitly mentioned in your post.

iOS updates primarily focus on improving system performance, introducing new features, fixing bugs, and enhancing security. They are designed to preserve your personal data, settings, and information intact.

During an iOS update, your device's operating system is upgraded, but your personal data, such as contacts, photos, messages, and other information, should remain unchanged. However, it's always a good practice to perform a backup of your device before any major update to ensure that your data is safely stored.

It's important to note that while an iOS update itself should not alter personal details, it's possible that certain features or settings may be adjusted or improved with the update. In such cases, you may need to review and adjust specific settings to match your preferences after the update.

Always make sure to read and understand the update details provided by Apple before proceeding with an iOS update, and follow best practices such as backing up your device to minimize any potential risks or complications.

If the issues you mentioned are indeed caused by iOS, it's likely that numerous users who have upgraded to iOS 16.6 are experiencing similar problems. However, in order for the community on this forum to provide helpful responses, it would be beneficial for you to specify the nature of the issue you are encountering. Without this information, it may be difficult for others to address your concern effectively.

With the limited information that you have provided, It is hard to even guess the problems faced by you. 

You may get faster and better responses to your query by --> Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple ...

Please re-post with detail so that someone else can help.

Aug 9, 2023 7:14 AM in response to Rakesh Suthar

After updating my phone ios 16.6 pink line has come on the left side screen of my iphone please solve it asap or still people are facing the same problem then please take action

———-

Report this to Apple:

Do your Part: Report this issue to Apple. It occurred after an update installation --something they should be made aware of. Apple won't get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this occurred after installing this update. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessa

Aug 10, 2023 10:46 AM in response to shahbazma

I don’t know how but the problem of white screen is related to hardware. Although it surfaced after the OS upgrade. In my country hundreds of technicians have been fixing this issue at 50$. All they do is open up the phone and bypass the display connection using a copper thread and voila. You only compromise the waterproof seal in the process. No one seems to know the exact reason behind it after all. Totally disappointing Apple!

Aug 18, 2023 5:29 AM in response to dhiraj230

I am facing the same issue on my iPhone 13 Pro Max, after updating to IOS 16.6 the phone got stuck at white screen, Force restart didn’t help either, My phone is out of warranty and when I reached out to service Centre and Apple support both claim it’s a hardware issue and say I need to get the display replaced, which is complete BS..

Sep 8, 2023 1:05 AM in response to Monster123-

They haven't communicated with me yet. I brought my phone to the service center last September 4 and they said it will take about 5-7 business days before they give me their diagnostic report. But my phone is still under warranty so I'm hoping that I won't be charged.

You can talk to Apple Support and have them waive the replacement cost if your phone is out of warranty already. I've read several similar cases (out of warranty iphone 13-14 suffering from WSOD, GSOD, BSOD) and Apple waived the screen replacement fee, as long as the service center's diagnostic report proves that the phone does not have water/physical damage. You just need to keep calling them until you find a senior support who will listen. Good luck!

Sep 19, 2023 2:44 AM in response to shahbazma

Yes, screen flickering and white screen after software updates is a common issue. This can happen for a variety of reasons, including:

• Software bugs: Sometimes, software updates can introduce new bugs that can cause display problems.
  • Hardware conflicts: New software can sometimes conflict with older hardware, which can also lead to display issues.
  • Driver problems: Software updates can also sometimes cause problems with device drivers, which can also lead to display issues.

If you are experiencing screen flickering and a white screen after a software update, there are a few things you can try:

1. Restart your device. This can sometimes fix minor software glitches.
  2. Boot into Safe Mode. This will start your device with a minimal set of drivers and services, which can help you to troubleshoot the issue. To boot into Safe Mode on Windows, press and hold the Shift key while restarting your computer.
  3. Update your device drivers. Make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your display adapter and other devices. You can usually download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.
  4. Uninstall the software update. If you are still having problems, you can try uninstalling the software update that caused the issue. To do this on Windows, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Update history.
  5. Perform a system restore. If you have created a system restore point before the software update, you can try restoring your system to that point. This will undo any changes that were made to your system since the restore point was created.

If you have tried all of the above steps and you are still having problems, you may need to contact the manufacturer of your device for further assistance.

It is also worth noting that some people have reported that the screen flickering and white screen issue can be caused by a hardware problem, such as a faulty display adapter or cable. If you have tried all of the above steps and you are still having problems, you may want to have your device diagnosed by a qualified technician.

White Screen on iPhone after iOS 16.6 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.