Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Can't change Apple ID

Every time I try and change my Apple ID I get a message telling me to "Continue on one of your devices". Nothing else happens though. I've tried going to the Apple ID on both my Mac and my iPhone, but nothing is there. I've tried signing out and doing it, but again nothing happens. I also don't receive a verification email.

Anyone know what's going on?

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 2:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 6:02 AM

I ran into this as well. What eventually worked: I signed out of the web interface and signed back in without using TouchID. I signed in by typing my AppleID password. Then I was able to change the AppleID e-mail address pretty easily.

I don't know if it was just a fluke or if logging in with TouchID vs plain password is what actually makes the difference.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2023 6:02 AM in response to jsMilton

I ran into this as well. What eventually worked: I signed out of the web interface and signed back in without using TouchID. I signed in by typing my AppleID password. Then I was able to change the AppleID e-mail address pretty easily.

I don't know if it was just a fluke or if logging in with TouchID vs plain password is what actually makes the difference.

Aug 2, 2023 3:40 AM in response to jsMilton

Are you doing it this way?

1. Go to https://appleid.apple.com and sign in.

2. In the Sign-In and Security section, choose Apple ID.

3. Enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID.

4. Choose Change Apple ID.

5. If you changed your Apple ID to a third-party email address, check your email for a verification code, then enter the code. Learn what to do if you didn't get the email. --> If you didn't receive your verification or reset email - Apple Support

6. If you use services like iCloud or Messages to share with friends and colleagues, sign in to those services with your updated Apple ID. --> What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

For more details, read the document: "Change your Apple ID" --> Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

When I search the web for that message I am seeing it in the context of app specific passwords.

Aug 2, 2023 3:50 AM in response to jsMilton

Given that I can only find a few hits with a web search suggests this may be a truly obscure issue. Those hits are all recent ones, and one of them seems to be in the context of beta software. If you are using beta software then you should be asking about this on the special forum for beta issues. Otherwise I refer you to Apple:

For general questions about using Apple Beta Software, contact the Apple Developer program at --> Using Apple Beta Software - Support - Apple Developer

Refer to this document for ways to contact Apple ➞ Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support

Select your country (also look for "other" regions), then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service by telephone ➞ Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Can't change Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.