Replacing my Airport Time Capsule

Hi all, I went through all the info I could find here on this topic and learned a lot, but not enough to start buying expensive NAS devices, modems and storage drives.

What I'd like to have setup is a hassle-free, simple solution to wirelessly backup my Macbook Pro. My Airport time capsule does exactly that via the Time Machine app, but the capsule is over 7 years old, gets overheated, and I think it is going to die soon.

There seems to be no equivalent to the AirPort time capsule, and if I understand correctly, there may be 2 alternative setups that could work:

1. A modern wifi router with a USB3 port to which I would attach an external storage drive. An SSD storage would be my preference, as it is faster than an HDD. I looked at TP-Link WiFi 6 Router, AX3000 Dual Band WiFi Router with Samsung T7 Shield, Portable External Solid State Drive, Black, 1TB connected to the router. Will setup do the trick for automatic wireless Time Machine backups from my laptop? Or is it more complicated than this?
  2. The other option seems to be a NAS device, such as Synology DS120J or DS220J. But here I am not so clear about what else is needed besides the NAS device. First, NAS doesn't seem to come with storage built in, you have to buy that separately? Then, it looks like the storage for NAS is HDD, not SSD(which is my preference)? Third, I guess I still need to buy a wifi router?

Option 1 would cost me 180usd, option 2 - 400usd. If option 1 works reliably, the choice would be obvious, but will it work?

Or, are there things I don't understand about NAS - is it somehow more secure or works better for automatic wireless backups?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2023 11:31 PM

To: Bob Timmons,

Is there some way that we could contact APPLE and get them to remake/redesign/reintroduce the TIME CAPSULE?

It was such a fantastic product and really helped in so many ways to avoid any loss of data on a computer

Similar questions

18 replies

Aug 4, 2023 3:55 AM in response to dl757

Does a NAS, such as synology ds223j, need to be connected to the internet via an ethernet cable or wirelessly?

A NAS will connect to a modem or a modem/router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection.

Are there NAS devices that have a wifi router built in?

No, the Time Capsule was a unique product in that it combined both a Wi-Fi router and a built in hard drive. No other manufacturer ever offered a similar product.

Aug 5, 2023 2:03 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi,

"A clogged fan inside the Time Capsule can result in overheating, but this is usually accompanied by unusual noises like excessive fan noise and even screeching." - no unusual noises, just the normal sound of the hdd spinning when the backup starts. Plastic housing does feel a bit warm to the touch, but never hot.

I just went through the steps you suggested and that seems to have worked - the green status light is back instead of the blinking orange! Hopefully it stays this way, will know in 3-4 days, which is how long it usually took after I'd erase the the time capsule entirely to factory setting a few times in the last 6 months or so. If this fix is more or less permanent, you saved me a few hundred on a NAS setup )), thank you very much! Although, I must say the idea of switching to a NAS setup now that I understand better how NAS works, sounds quite straightforward and easy to implement. This is great - learning something new, and having people help you out along the way. Thank you very much again, all the best to you!

Aug 2, 2023 3:34 PM in response to dl757

Will setup do the trick for automatic wireless Time Machine backups from my laptop?

It will with a Synology router and the upper end Asus routers because these products state in their specifications that Time Machine backups are supported with a USB drive attached to the router.

On a brief check, I can't find anything in the link that you provided for the TP Link router that mentions anything about Time Machine support, but maybe it's there somewhere. If you are thinking of this model, might be a good idea to double check about Time Machine compatibility.

First, NAS doesn't seem to come with storage built in, you have to buy that separately?

Correct, if you are asking about Synology.

Then, it looks like the storage for NAS is HDD, not SSD(which is my preference)?

SSD offers no advantage with Time Machine, because the Time Machine software limits the speed of data transfer in the backups. It's nice to know than an SSD might be faster, but you will be paying extra for no gain in performance.

A NAS is not necessarily "better", but it offers the advantage of backups over a network.

In terms of speed, simplicity, reliability and cost, nothing beats a USB drive that is connected directly to a Mac. But, most users don't want to haul a hard drive around with their laptop.

Aug 5, 2023 3:05 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you very much, sir. I read a little more about NAS, sounds like might be worth paying a little extra vs. Wifi router with external disk. I like the idea of the software with face recognition to help organize photos. I am a bit unsure which NAS to go for: Synology's ds223j or D's 220+. Ds220+ is probably an overkill for my simple needs, and it's more expensive. But I think it has a more advanced processor than ds223j. If with advanced processor I can get a few more years before it dies then perhaps ds220+ is worth it. Once again my needs are: automatic wireless backups for macbook pro and photo storage. I currently transfer all photos to 2 portable samsung HDD's. We also have several iphones and a ipads, but I periodically transfer all photos from these to the Photos App on the MacBook and further to the 2 Samsung hdd's. Perhaps with a NAS I could also setup automatic backups for the iphones and the ipads? Thanks again for your clear answers!

Aug 5, 2023 5:33 AM in response to dl757

Perhaps with a NAS I could also setup automatic backups for the iphones and the ipads?

The iPhone and iPad back up to your Mac or to iCloud....not to a NAS.

You can set up automatic backups via Wi-Fi to iCloud. iOS backups to your Mac will always be a manual process.

Now.....IF.....you are backing up the iPhone and iPad to your Mac.....AND....you will be using Time Machine to back up the Mac to the NAS, then all of the iPhone and iPad backups on your Mac will be backed up to the NAS as part of the backup process.

Aug 5, 2023 5:48 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Perfect, thank you for all the useful info! Now I just have to set it all up. The AirPort Time Capsule is again blinking with an orange light and a message in the app “this device may be overheating”. I know people take them apart to clean out the dust from the fans, but I can’t be bothered with this, so this thing goes to the recycling center as soon as I have a new setup.

Aug 5, 2023 6:01 AM in response to dl757

A clogged fan inside the Time Capsule can result in overheating, but this is usually accompanied by unusual noises like excessive fan noise and even screeching.

Sometimes.....the "overheating" message can be false alarm due to a software bug. So, before you toss in the towel on the Time Capsule, try the following:

Open AirPort Utility, select the Time Capsule and click Edit

Click the Disks tab at the lower right of the next small window that appears

Uncheck the box next to Enable File Sharing

Wait 10 seconds

Enter a check mark again the box next to Enable File Sharing

Click Update at the lower right of the window and give the Time Capsule a minute to restart

No guarantees, but it's worth a try and has performed miracles for some users who have found that the Time Capsule was not overheating at all.

Jan 2, 2024 2:47 PM in response to dl757

I might have a solution to your problem. I was going through my things and I found an Apple Time Machine. It’s definitely gently used, as I don’t remember the last time I used it. I do know that it works like a charm and I’d be willing to negotiate a price that is amenable for us both. Let me know your thoughts.

Mar 16, 2024 10:05 PM in response to dl757

I noticed my airport ran hot from the time it was new. I carefully drilled some holes in the top corners of the housing so it could actually vent and move air through the device, and it ran considerably cooler. I honestly dont understand why it was designed without vent ports on top, opposite the fan on bottom 🤷🏼‍♂️ It’s at least 10yo, still running strong. I use it as a time capsule primarily, but also as a wifi repeater

Replacing my Airport Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.