Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Why does the Apple Watch Workout stop reading my Heart Rate?

I've been having this issue since Watch Series 3 and Watch Series 6 a few months later (on WatchOS 9 is when it did this FYI). When I finish charging and I start a workout to go for an Outdoor Walk, my heart rate stops working.

It begins from 115 BPM my normal heart rate on a brisk walk down to 90 BPM and starts circling to find my heart rate. It only works again if I have Heart Rate app on the watch and check my pulse once it stops working. It blacks out and no Zone Recording is completed for a length of my exercise of 30 minutes.

Apple Watch Series 6

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 12:48 PM

4 replies

Dec 29, 2023 9:29 AM in response to Joe Z in VA

This has been an ongoing issue for me. It used to be a problem mostly during swim workouts. Then it was HIIT type workouts, which I read is often a problem with the sudden changes of highs and lows of the heart rate.

But today I took a somewhat brisk walk (the dog was slowing me down). Watch never moved on my wrist, I wasn’t sweating, nice steady pace and look how little the watch picked up my heart rate. Only 14 minutes out of 54!

Why does the Apple Watch Workout stop reading my Heart Rate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.