Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Fake Google Virus Page

Hello All,

I got a fake virus page that claims I have 19 virus on my phone. I closed the browser without clicking on anything else. I did "erase all content" on phone, which I believe is completely unnecessary but didn't want to take risk.

Am I in the clear or is there anything I should keep an eye out?

Thank y'all for your time!

OLED48C2PUA,

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 9:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 2:20 PM

Questions79 wrote:

Hello All,

I got a fake virus page that claims I have 19 virus on my phone. I closed the browser without clicking on anything else. I did "erase all content" on phone, which I believe is completely unnecessary but didn't want to take risk.

Help you with an advertisement like this “you have (19) viruses” advertisement?

We all see these—and other advertisements—on the internet.

Advertisements are common, and some—such as this advertisement—are profitable for the advertiser.

Yes, this “you have (3) viruses” stuff is an advertisement, pretending to be something it’s not: a malware scan.

This advertiser also lied, as websites cannot scan your local storage. (If a website could scan, the sketchy folks responsible for this and other sketchy advertisements would just steal all our data. But websites can’t scan. So this advertiser lied.)

The advertiser would prefer you go buy some app you don’t need for a problem you don’t have, because that’s profitable for the advertiser.

Ignore the ad.

This ad is one of many sorts of scams, too: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2023 2:20 PM in response to Questions79

Questions79 wrote:

Hello All,

Help you with an advertisement like this “you have (19) viruses” advertisement?

We all see these—and other advertisements—on the internet.

Advertisements are common, and some—such as this advertisement—are profitable for the advertiser.

Yes, this “you have (3) viruses” stuff is an advertisement, pretending to be something it’s not: a malware scan.

This advertiser also lied, as websites cannot scan your local storage. (If a website could scan, the sketchy folks responsible for this and other sketchy advertisements would just steal all our data. But websites can’t scan. So this advertiser lied.)

The advertiser would prefer you go buy some app you don’t need for a problem you don’t have, because that’s profitable for the advertiser.

Ignore the ad.

This ad is one of many sorts of scams, too: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Fake Google Virus Page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.