Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

Control TV volume with Apple TV remote

Hello, until yesterday, I was able to control the volume of my old LG TV (2014) and my soundbar (noname brand) with the Apple TV remote (physical, not the application).

I was able to turn off and on my TV and my soundbar with the same remote too. The CEC option (LG Simplink) never was activated, and I never activated any option to control the sound of my TV. I just connect all my devices with HDMI cables and all worked perfectly.

But yesterday, during a movie, I turned the sound down but suddenly, the Apple TV remote stopped controlling the sound.

I didn’t change anything on my TV or Apple TV.

As it was sudden and unexpected, I think it's a cable problem. What do you think?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 3:28 PM

In general CEC is turned on by default, so you wouldn't have needed to do anything.

It possible the cable has developed a fault and the CEC support is not being detected or the signal not being transferred correctly.

Also, make sure the remote has unobstructed line of sight of the TV and sound bar, as it will use infrared to send the volume signals.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2023 3:28 PM in response to Mikaduch

In general CEC is turned on by default, so you wouldn't have needed to do anything.

It possible the cable has developed a fault and the CEC support is not being detected or the signal not being transferred correctly.

Also, make sure the remote has unobstructed line of sight of the TV and sound bar, as it will use infrared to send the volume signals.

Control TV volume with Apple TV remote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.