Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Apple data breech passwords

Is this a real notification or is it a scam? And if it’s real, how do I change all my passwords at once? I have an apple iPhone XR

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 5:27 PM

If you mean you are seeing your passwords were compromised when you go under settings-passwords , security recommendations- that is not a scam.

Security researchers keep track of compromised passwords and create a list. Your iPhone scans the list and notifies you when your password shows up.

There is no way to change them all at once, nor should there be.

Each site and service should have it’s own unique password.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2023 5:27 PM in response to sheli65

If you mean you are seeing your passwords were compromised when you go under settings-passwords , security recommendations- that is not a scam.

Security researchers keep track of compromised passwords and create a list. Your iPhone scans the list and notifies you when your password shows up.

There is no way to change them all at once, nor should there be.

Each site and service should have it’s own unique password.

Aug 3, 2023 7:05 PM in response to sheli65

sheli65 Said:

"Apple data breech passwords: Is this a real notification or is it a scam? And if it’s real, how do I change all my passwords at once? I have an apple iPhone XR"

-------

About Scam Messages:

A. Changing All Passwords at Once:

You Can't. You can download them all at once from Keychain, but you cannot change them all at once. Performing this on your Mac is best, as it is more user-friendly doing so: Import and Export Keychain Items Using Keychain Access on Mac - Apple Support. So, set up iCloud Keychain on your Mac and your iPhone, and then perform the export.

B. Reporting Items to Apple:

You can report what seem to be scams. To do so, report phone calls' and messages' info to Apple and others. Use my User Tip: Using the Photos App to Report Scams - User Tip

Aug 3, 2023 6:13 PM in response to sheli65

An email or notification from a breached provider can notify you of one breach of one service, or related services, but—absent a catastrophic security breach at Apple, or absent local password re-use—will not be a general notification.

You can lose control of your password storage by losing control of your Apple ID, though. That can happen through password re-use, or via phishing, among other means.

There is no means to change all passwords everywhere at once. It’s one at a time.

Apple makes breach notifications available via Settings > Passwords > Security Recommendations.

In addition to the Apple breach monitoring available via Security Recommendations, the site haveibeenpwned.com maintains listings of credentials breaches.

Apple data breech passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.