I can't get my 6 year old MacPro to upgrade from Monterey to Ventura OS

My MacPro is now 6 years old and the latest OS is Monterey. I have auto-updates but, even with a manual update, I can't get Ventura OS to install. I've reduce a number of files and folders, emptied trash, etc., to increase space but that has made no difference. Any advice? Thanks.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 11:49 AM

You need one of these Macs to install Ventura…

macOS Ventura is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

4 replies

Aug 4, 2023 4:18 PM in response to KiltedTim

• My Mac is MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017). According to the Apple support list, this model is compatible with Venture. Current free space on drive: 294.36 GB.

I've followed instructions to reduce files and folders, including Trash, Applications, etc. I've run the upgrade to Ventura OS several times. Each time I check after the upgrade, it's still the Monterey OS.

Aug 4, 2023 11:40 AM in response to chuckMACHELP

Exactly what model Mac do you have?

The 2013 Mac Pro (trash can Mac) is a cylinder. It can't run anything higher than Monterey. The next model came out in 2019. That can run Ventura.

One is significantly less than 6 years old, the other is 10 years old (though I suppose you could have purchased it 6 years ago)

The 2017 MacBookPro can run Ventura.

If that is what you meant, what, exactly happens when you attempt to update? How much free space do you have on the drive?

I can't get my 6 year old MacPro to upgrade from Monterey to Ventura OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.