Catalina logging out when idle for no reason

Despite having every setting I can find in System Preferences telling it not to, my late 2014 iMac is logging itself out of my (admin and only) user account when idle for more than about 30 minutes. It's also refusing to log in on startup automatically. This behaviour began recently with no obvious cause.

Could this be some preference file getting corrupted? All suggestions welcome...

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 7:06 AM

Is the proxy there when you create another user?

If it is, then you will need to backup just the Documents, Desktop, Music, Pictures folders, of your computer, and reinstall applications after erase and installing the system. Change your password immediately once you have verified you can install the system without it being installed. Now as long as your email isn't POP, you shouldn't have to worry about backing up email. If you do, there is no guarantee the virus isn't hiding in your email.

If it is not there, copy the same folders into the Users-> Shared folder while in the original account, and then log in the other account and bring over the same files into the other account.

command-R restart will let you open Disk Utility to reformat your hard drive if you are forced to take step 1.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2023 7:06 AM in response to Jack Holland

Is the proxy there when you create another user?

If it is, then you will need to backup just the Documents, Desktop, Music, Pictures folders, of your computer, and reinstall applications after erase and installing the system. Change your password immediately once you have verified you can install the system without it being installed. Now as long as your email isn't POP, you shouldn't have to worry about backing up email. If you do, there is no guarantee the virus isn't hiding in your email.

If it is not there, copy the same folders into the Users-> Shared folder while in the original account, and then log in the other account and bring over the same files into the other account.

command-R restart will let you open Disk Utility to reformat your hard drive if you are forced to take step 1.

Aug 12, 2023 5:50 AM in response to Jack Holland

Why was a proxy being chosen in the first place?

I agree the malware could definitely be linked to why you are logging out no reason?

How did you come across the malware? Was a link to some site clicked? Was some network software added that was unncessary?

Intego firewall software is one software that could potentially introduce proxies when none are needed. Proxies can be helpful when browsing the same sites repeatedly to limit where traffic goes. But misprogrammed proxies can lead to lots of problems.

Aug 12, 2023 6:15 AM in response to a brody

Why was a proxy being chosen in the first place?

I didn't choose it: it installed itself somehow, without my permission.

How did you come across the malware?

If I knew that I might know how to get rid of it! I run a VPN (this proxy is completely unrelated) and ClamXav daily, but this slipped under the radar. I'm currently using Little Snitch to try and find out more. EtreCheck found the rogue proxy on a routine scan.

But misprogrammed proxies can lead to lots of problems.

I'm well aware. This is spying on my Mac, but I can't remove it!

Catalina logging out when idle for no reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.