migration assistant repeatedly hangs when transferring from Windows to Macbook

Brand new MacBook Air running the latest operating system. older windows laptop. Both on same high speed network. and yet migration assistant hangs up claiming it is trying to reconnect to my windows PC. I have been trying for three days to get my macbook up and running with my files. This is a terrible experience as a new apple user.

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 10:30 AM

Hi there!

If you're having issues migrating your data, I'd recommend you explore the "If the transfer isn't successful" section of the Transfer from PC to Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support article:

If you installed antivirus software, firewall software, or VPN software on your Mac or PC, turn off that software before using Migration Assistant.

You can also use the check disk (chkdsk) utility on your PC to check for issues that might prevent successful migration of your data:
1. Right-click the Start button, then click Run.
2. Type cmd and press Enter. Command Prompt opens.
3. At the prompt, type chkdsk and press Enter.
4. If the utility finds problems, type chkdsk drive: /F, where drive is the letter representing your Windows startup disk, such as C.
5. Press Enter.
6. At the prompt, type Y, then restart your PC.
7. Repeat this process until the check disk utility reports no issues. If the utility can't fix every issue that it found, you might need to have your PC serviced. 

Or use an external storage device or file sharing to copy important data from your PC to your Mac.

- Jack

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2023 10:30 AM in response to sillyteacher

Hi there!

If you're having issues migrating your data, I'd recommend you explore the "If the transfer isn't successful" section of the Transfer from PC to Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support article:

If you installed antivirus software, firewall software, or VPN software on your Mac or PC, turn off that software before using Migration Assistant.

You can also use the check disk (chkdsk) utility on your PC to check for issues that might prevent successful migration of your data:
1. Right-click the Start button, then click Run.
2. Type cmd and press Enter. Command Prompt opens.
3. At the prompt, type chkdsk and press Enter.
4. If the utility finds problems, type chkdsk drive: /F, where drive is the letter representing your Windows startup disk, such as C.
5. Press Enter.
6. At the prompt, type Y, then restart your PC.
7. Repeat this process until the check disk utility reports no issues. If the utility can't fix every issue that it found, you might need to have your PC serviced. 

Or use an external storage device or file sharing to copy important data from your PC to your Mac.

- Jack

migration assistant repeatedly hangs when transferring from Windows to Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.