green dot at top right corner of screen

All day for the past few days, there has been a tiny green dot at the upper right corner of my screen. It (terrifyingly) reminds me of the camera indicator light, but I thought that was supposed to be in the middle of the screen. I have also closed all apps and disabled camera allowance to the only apps that ask for it, just FYI. When I swipe toward the top to bring the top bar down (as if to check the time or something), the dot then moves right next to the control center icon.

To add to this situation, my MacBook also suffers from a (allegedly) placebo virus. Poor thing. I keep getting notifications (supposedly) from McAfee (which I don't have and have never had) saying my computer is infected, blah blah blah. I get one of these around every 20 minutes. I think it could be true. I took the computer to the Apple Store, where the guys at the Genius Bar told me that it is fake, there is no virus on the computer (they have run a check) and Macs don't get viruses. This was backed up by multiple people behind the counter. They said nothing is wrong with it. So I took it home. But this green dot is making me think again.

Thanks to anyone that can help :)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2024 4:28 AM

I have finally found a solution without restart.

Problem:

• The OS has two different dot types. One for full screen and one for non-full Screen.
  • When switching or ending a Video Call from full screen to normal screen, the OS tries to remove the wrong dot

Solution:

• For me, it was easily removable after I opened an MS Teams video call in full screen and then switched to normal screen via the green minimize icon. FaceTime does not work, as I can't make it to a real full screen.
17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2024 4:28 AM in response to slavomir34

I have finally found a solution without restart.

Problem:

• The OS has two different dot types. One for full screen and one for non-full Screen.
  • When switching or ending a Video Call from full screen to normal screen, the OS tries to remove the wrong dot

Solution:

• For me, it was easily removable after I opened an MS Teams video call in full screen and then switched to normal screen via the green minimize icon. FaceTime does not work, as I can't make it to a real full screen.

Dec 29, 2023 2:11 PM in response to codetti

I also found it after a zoom meeting. I don't do many zoom meetings. Per another comment, I'll reboot however I'd like to be assured that Apple will address this small problem. So I've been told these are in response to the camera functioning while idle. If so, we have a problem.

(Houston was taken, sorry for my bad humor - although the problem is real).

Mackbook Pro

M1

Sonoma 14.2.1

Aug 5, 2023 7:00 PM in response to mal_ena1

Here are the usual colored-indicator displays, and how to review the related activity:

Use Control Center on Mac - Apple Support

(It’s also possible that this is a stuck pixel or a graphics bug, depending on the details. If it doesn’t show in a screenshot, it’s probably either a bug or a stuck pixel.)

To remove the fake McAfee notification, see the Safari section available here:

https://www.mcafee.com/support/?page=shell&shell=article-view&articleId=TS102999&locale=en-US

You were offered notifications from some website, and accepted those, and here we are. To prevent websitea drom prompting dor notifications, select the Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifictions option as mentioned at the McAfee website.

Mac can get malware, and macOS includes built-in malware scanning and removal tools, but most of the dreck around is user-installed adware and such. Viruses, specifically, are pretty rare everywhere on all platforms, these days.

Dec 19, 2023 8:42 AM in response to slavomir34

You’ll need to poke around with what’s installed, probably with the process of elimination.

It’s possible this is a bug with the control center camera or microphone indicator placement within macOS itself, too.

Is the camera active? Does this icon shift when the camera is active? Microphone?

Does updating macOS to current, and booting through Safe Mode, clear this?

Dec 29, 2023 2:15 PM in response to ElonWeHaveAProblem

ElonWeHaveAProblem wrote:

I also found it after a zoom meeting. I don't do many zoom meetings. Per another comment, I'll reboot however I'd like to be assured that Apple will address this small problem. So I've been told these are in response to the camera functioning while idle...

If you can reliably cause this with Zoom, send some feedback with a reproducer directly to Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

Zoom probably needs to fix this too, but whatever Apple frameworks are active here are not working as they should.

Dec 12, 2023 11:40 AM in response to javaone

javaone wrote:

I'm seeing the very exact same thing. Not in screenshot, but can cover it up with mouse pointer. Over a couple of reboots, too.

Potentially an obvious question, but is the dot in the wallpaper? (I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "cover it up with the mouse pointer"—maybe the dot size, or does the artifact disappear when the cursor is in that position?)

Dec 12, 2023 3:01 PM in response to MrHoffman

It's the last thing,.. so for me the dot always is somewhere in the menu bar. when I hover my mouse over the position that the dot is in it's hidden from view. aka no dead pixel or anything hardware related. What is happening (and this might be a side effect of some software combination) is that de dot is somehow replicated from when I'm online. For some reason the dot only get's copied from the menu bar with the video indicator, it the same size and colour. the black part of the icon isn't copied. After a reboot (where I always close all applications) it's gone. It came back maybe twice now.

One of the pieces of software I installed recently before updating to Sonoma was Bartender. Might be related might not be.. figured I'd add it in case others are also using similar or the same software.

green dot at top right corner of screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.