Unable to remove "ask you" from list in Notifications Center MacBook Ventura

What its clearly adware if not malware now appears at the head of my list in the Notifications center. I can turn it off, but I want to delete it entirely from the list. Previous advice has been given to hold the control key and do a "Reset Notifications." However, this doesn't delete "Ask You" -- instead it turns notifications BACK ON! I don't know why Apple seems to have made it impossible to delete items from this list, and clearly the "ask you" authors have now hacked a way around a method that previously worked. That seems to me to suggest it's a potentially very serious broader threat -- and ought to be repaired.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 6:51 AM

Safari >> Setting and refer to below image.

Remove and or block the unwanted Notification Site

Similar questions

15 replies

Aug 6, 2023 6:45 AM in response to professarap

If this is genuine Adware / Malware then the user ( you ) was tricked into downloading and Installing this software.

Predicated on that as being accurate >>

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

There is Adware & Malware which will affect the computer and is generally downloaded from “ Shady “ Websites or Developers who Inject this software into the download.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, download directly from the Developer , the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

Aug 6, 2023 7:26 AM in response to professarap

I am not sure how you will receive this and please, it not meant to be a flippant reply.

There is a certain level of expectations that the user will be aware of some of these Bad Actors and just what they try to do to you and your computer

For that reason some More Learned Colleagues have prepared some user Tips to help education person on such issues.

The first was already suppled and is a really good starter

Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popup… - Apple Community

As for Apple's role in this >>

Then have a suggestion ;

Product Feedback - Apple and make it known to Apple regarding this ongoing issue  and request a change to the Operation System

To be forwards on your last point

As Apple is developing a newer version of macOS 14 at this time.

It would reasonable to believe they have moved most of their Resources to developing Sonoma macOS 14

EDITED

Aug 6, 2023 6:56 AM in response to PRP_53

There's no app to remove -- nothing in the Apps folder, no process in the Activity monitor. You used to be able to simply remove an item from the Activity Monitor -- this would force the (web-based) agent to "reapply" for permission to be there, and that would be that. All this "ask me" item does is send up banner after banner using the System icon and trying to get you to click on its "warnings." The "reset app" option was flagged as a correct answer in the past, but as I say, doing that now simply turns notifications for this rogue banner-generator back ON.

Aug 6, 2023 7:19 AM in response to professarap

professarap wrote:

Ah, phew! Thanks, that finally took it out of the Notifications center! (and I would have thanked you sooner were it not for these ridiculous posting limits -- you'd think there'd be some credit for having been a Mac user since 1984!)

Welcome

I have been here since about September 2005 and look what can be done, with a little effort

Unable to remove "ask you" from list in Notifications Center MacBook Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.