Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

how to recover recently deleted photos?

I backed up all my photos to my icloud and deleted them off my iphone but when i went to my icloud the photos were not their. I want to recover all the photos that i deleted.

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 9:11 PM

When you delete a photo, Photos moves it to the Recently Deleted area and keeps it there for thirty days in case you change your mind. After the countdown completes, the system can delete the photo (but might not do it immediately).

The Recently Deleted area is shown in the "Utilities" part of the Albums tab of the Photos app in recent versions of iOS.

This is explained in the Related Article linked above your question.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2023 9:11 PM in response to Susanne25

When you delete a photo, Photos moves it to the Recently Deleted area and keeps it there for thirty days in case you change your mind. After the countdown completes, the system can delete the photo (but might not do it immediately).

The Recently Deleted area is shown in the "Utilities" part of the Albums tab of the Photos app in recent versions of iOS.

This is explained in the Related Article linked above your question.

Apr 17, 2024 1:04 PM in response to Lily5588missy

Lily5588missy wrote:

How do I recover my deleted photos? This app is ridiculous. I cannot get no reply.

Just repeating the same question without providing the needed details will not resolve the issue for you. After reviewing the other posts here, the information that should have been provided are:

• When did you delete them?
  • Were they deleted from the Recently Deleted folder?
  • Do you see the Recently Deleted folder now?
  • Were you using iCloud Photos or had them backed up to a computer or another device?

Aug 7, 2023 7:06 AM in response to Susanne25

Susanne25 wrote: I backed up all my photos to my icloud

Well, no-- iCloud does not provide a backup for your Library. iCloud syncs the pictures on all your devices, so when you add a picture to one device, it is added to all of them at nearly the same time. And, as muguy and markwmsn have said, when you delete a picture on one device, it is deleted on all of them at nearly the same time. Luckily, deleting in Photos means going to the Recently Deleted folder for 30 days.

Backing up pictures requires a completely separate storage device-- an important consideration if your pictures are important to you.

Apr 17, 2024 12:43 PM in response to Lily5588missy

Lily5588missy,

what exactly is the problem? Is the Recently Deleted album empty, or is it not shown, or it is missing?

It will depend on your system version, if you can access the Recently Deleted album directly. If the album is showing a padlock, you will have to enter your password or use Face ID to open it.

The Recently Deleted album may not be shown at all, if it is empty.

If Recently Deleted is empty, it is too late and you are on your own. You have to use your own backups to recover the photos.

how to recover recently deleted photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.