The dual-function "exclamation point/apostrophe key" on my iPad is not working properly.

I have a 9th generation iPad running iPadOS version 16.3. The dual-function "exclamation point/apostrophe key" on my iPad is not working properly. Though it reflects a proper "!" on the keyboard is available when you shift, what it provides you is an "upside-down" exclamation point, i.e., with the period on top, as opposed to below when you do so. I use the exclamation point often in my computer work as it's a special character that's part of my passwords. Would love some insight on why this keeps happening...and it's been happening for quite awhile. Thanks!

iPad

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 3:02 AM

It sounds like you're encountering an issue with the behavior of the exclamation point/apostrophe key on your iPad keyboard. This could be due to a couple of reasons, including a software glitch or a specific keyboard setting. Here's what you can try to troubleshoot and potentially fix the issue:

1. Check Keyboard Language and Region Settings: Sometimes, keyboard issues can arise if there are language or region settings that are not properly configured. Make sure that your iPad's language and region settings are correct.

- Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Language & Region."

- Ensure that the correct language is selected.

2. Restart Your iPad: A simple restart can sometimes resolve temporary glitches. Press and hold the power button until the "slide to power off" slider appears. Slide it to turn off the iPad, and then turn it back on after a few seconds.

3. Check for Software Updates: Ensure that your iPad is running the latest version of iPadOS. Updates can often include bug fixes that might address such issues. Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Software Update" to check for updates.

4. Reset Keyboard Settings: Resetting the keyboard settings can sometimes help if there's a configuration issue.

- Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset."

- Choose "Reset Keyboard Settings."

5. Use a Third-Party Keyboard: If the issue persists, you might consider using a third-party keyboard from the App Store as a temporary workaround. Some third-party keyboard apps provide additional customization options.

6. Contact Apple Support: If none of the above steps work, it's recommended to contact Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting steps and might be aware of any known issues related to the specific keyboard behavior on your iPad model and iOS version.

7. Provide Feedback to Apple: If you believe this issue is a bug or a consistent problem, consider submitting feedback to Apple through the Feedback app. This can help Apple become aware of the issue and potentially address it in future updates.

Remember that software-related issues can vary, and the steps above are general suggestions. If the problem is persistent and impacting your productivity, reaching out to Apple Support directly would be the best course of action.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2023 3:02 AM in response to gjhinton25

It sounds like you're encountering an issue with the behavior of the exclamation point/apostrophe key on your iPad keyboard. This could be due to a couple of reasons, including a software glitch or a specific keyboard setting. Here's what you can try to troubleshoot and potentially fix the issue:

1. Check Keyboard Language and Region Settings: Sometimes, keyboard issues can arise if there are language or region settings that are not properly configured. Make sure that your iPad's language and region settings are correct.

- Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Language & Region."

- Ensure that the correct language is selected.

2. Restart Your iPad: A simple restart can sometimes resolve temporary glitches. Press and hold the power button until the "slide to power off" slider appears. Slide it to turn off the iPad, and then turn it back on after a few seconds.

3. Check for Software Updates: Ensure that your iPad is running the latest version of iPadOS. Updates can often include bug fixes that might address such issues. Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Software Update" to check for updates.

4. Reset Keyboard Settings: Resetting the keyboard settings can sometimes help if there's a configuration issue.

- Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset."

- Choose "Reset Keyboard Settings."

5. Use a Third-Party Keyboard: If the issue persists, you might consider using a third-party keyboard from the App Store as a temporary workaround. Some third-party keyboard apps provide additional customization options.

6. Contact Apple Support: If none of the above steps work, it's recommended to contact Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting steps and might be aware of any known issues related to the specific keyboard behavior on your iPad model and iOS version.

7. Provide Feedback to Apple: If you believe this issue is a bug or a consistent problem, consider submitting feedback to Apple through the Feedback app. This can help Apple become aware of the issue and potentially address it in future updates.

Remember that software-related issues can vary, and the steps above are general suggestions. If the problem is persistent and impacting your productivity, reaching out to Apple Support directly would be the best course of action.

Aug 8, 2023 1:19 PM in response to heinminthu

Heinminthu, thanks very much for the extensive reply! I went through the trouble-shooting tips you provided and it didn't solve the issue. Having said that, I "accidentally" found out that when I select the ".?123" keyboard...and then the subsequent "#+=" keyboard option...that the original dual-function "exclamation point/apostrophe" key becomes a dedicated "exclamation point" key only! Weird! I still have the issue when I try and use the original dual function key under the "ABC" or "".?123" keyboard options. Again, thanks!

The dual-function "exclamation point/apostrophe key" on my iPad is not working properly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.