Unable to sign into Apple TV on my Roku television

Unable to sign in to AppleTV on my Roku, it works sometimes but most the time it says there’s a problem playing the video and it either tells me to try again or start troubleshooting. I do both of those constantly and nothing happens. All my other TV apps work fine.

[Re-titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2024 1:12 AM

I had this exact problem. Solved by restarting my Roku streaming device using this sequence: Roku > settings > system > power > system restart. Good luck.

23 replies

Dec 12, 2023 7:04 PM in response to Dathannlm

I am having the same problem. Months of apple tv+ working just fine with my roku and then out of the blue it stopped. It will still play previews and episode recaps but stops playback when it gets to the actual episode. I even tried using airplay from the apple tv+ app on my laptop and the same thing happens. Plays the recap and then says "format not supported" when it gets to the episode. I've reset, delelted, turned off, re-added the app etc. I also can't even sign back into the app now, just get the spinning wheel of death. And they just increased the price too, not paying that much money to watch something on my laptop

Nov 20, 2023 3:43 PM in response to Dathannlm

I absolutely share your frustration. Our relatively new Sony smart TV simply stopped signing on to our Apple TV account via Roku and nothing I could do seemed to make a difference. We continued to be able to get Apple TV on our iPhones, laptop and on our cheap little TV in the kitchen, but not on the fancy Sony. I reset the Roku, deleted and re installed the Sony TV app, all to no avail. Finally I deleted the Apple TV app, turned off the TV, unplugged my Roku receiver for a minute, plugged it back in and then reinstalled Apple TV and viola! It worked.

Thank you for the tip and good luck to all.

Aug 31, 2023 1:25 PM in response to Dathannlm

I have already cancelled due to the " unable to play , there's a problem playing this video. Try again or trouble shoot the issue "

It will play previews and then the recap of the series and then it goes to that message.

I also tried all of those helpful recommendations above to no avail.

I've tried to sign out and back in also but once I signed out it refused to let me sign back in ... Error message, that I can't remember. It was the right login info so I don't know .

After doing this for what seems like forever I just gave up . Then the next time I try it it works .... after having this issue many times I cancelled, it just stressed me out and made me angry . TV is supposed to be relaxing.

I have a few more days left of my subscription... Thought I'd watch the episode of After Party.... Apple had other ideas . So that just reenforced my decision to cancel I guess after giving another try today . I wanted to keep it but 🤷

*Onn 50" Roku smart TV that has the Apple TV app on it .

Aug 22, 2023 4:02 AM in response to Callsfromautomated

I am sorry to hear that. It seems to work for most Roku users though, so it seems like a fixable issue. Not sure what is happening in your case. If you want guided assistance, then I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Unable to sign into Apple TV on my Roku television

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.