Overriding automatic hotspot turn off using my iPad

My mediacom wi-fi has to be repaired in 4 days and I am using my iphone cellular data hotspot to work on my iPad but my hotspot keeps on turning off after a few minutes when my ipad is not being used. I want my ipad hotspot connection to my iphone remaining until I turn off my ipad. Is an override possible ?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 4:50 AM

Your iPhone hotspot will automatically shut-off (to save power) if the WiFi connection to client devices becomes idle for a period of time. This function cannot be overridden.

However, providing that both your iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, you iPad can automatically re-establish the hotspot connection with your iPad:

On your iPad:

Settings > WiFi > Auto-Join Hotspot - set to Automatic

You should note that Bluetooth must be switched-on on both devices for the Auto-Join function to work. Bluetooth pairing is not required.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2023 4:50 AM in response to wsumabat

Your iPhone hotspot will automatically shut-off (to save power) if the WiFi connection to client devices becomes idle for a period of time. This function cannot be overridden.

However, providing that both your iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID, you iPad can automatically re-establish the hotspot connection with your iPad:

On your iPad:

Settings > WiFi > Auto-Join Hotspot - set to Automatic

You should note that Bluetooth must be switched-on on both devices for the Auto-Join function to work. Bluetooth pairing is not required.

Overriding automatic hotspot turn off using my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.