How to prevent iPhone from turning off when locked?

How to prevent your iPhone from turning off when locked

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2023 12:25 AM

It would really be very interesting if we could prevent it from turning off if the screen is locked.

59 replies

Nov 21, 2023 10:06 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I am not sure if it will necessarily “brick your phone” if you can’t turn off when when there is an issue. Having had my phone stolen yesterday, I am absolutely of the view there should be a way to disable the power button should I choose to do so.

The person who stole from me yesterday definitely didn’t carry around faraday bag, and I’d doubt they knew what a faraday bag was - there are many opportunistic thieves looking to make a quick buck and this feature will help prevent it / deter it.

it’s very likely the thief would’ve thrown my phone away on the street if they thought they can’t turn it off and would get tracked. yes, it may be damaged beyond repair but over time might make iPhones less attractive to steal.

Aug 9, 2023 6:40 AM in response to currency227

While this is not currently possible without a jailbroken or modified version of iOS, I hope this can help:

(This guide is designed for devices using Face ID or devices using iOS 17, some steps may be different on previous iOS releases.)

1.) Go to Settings, and search "Face ID & Passcode" and enter your passcode.

2.) Scroll down and find "ALLOW ACCESS WHEN LOCKED" just below "Voice Dial"

3.) Turn off Control Center and whatever else you please. This will not allow a potential thief to turn off your location services such as mobile data or WiFi without a correct PIN or Face ID.

Now that the device cannot have its location services turned off without proper authentication, let's ensure the device's location stays on after power off:

1.) On the Settings front page, tap your name at the very top.

2.) Tap "Find My". This is a green icon that resembles a radar scanner.

3.) Tap "Find My iPhone". Ensure that all three sliders are checked on. This will ensure your device not only sends its location at low battery, but will continue to do so for a period of time after the device is shut down.

Enjoy! Now, in the event your device is stolen or lost, you can easily check its location with another Apple device.

Aug 9, 2023 6:47 AM in response to currency227

I mean to prevent someone from turning off when locked. That’s in case it’s stolen

Taking away the ability for a thief to power off the phone will not help you.

You do know that thieves are very fond of placing stolen phones in a special type of bag that will not allow the phone to send or receive a signal, correct?

In other words, the thief can very easily prevent you from accessing your phone without turning it off.

Aug 9, 2023 7:00 AM in response to wittikay

In the event the thief places the device in an EMF and/or RFID blocking container, you will be unable to track its location.

Still, the above guide will prepare you for common cases of thieving. It is better than not being prepared at all. With that being said, keeping an active eye on the device is the most effective method of preventing your device from being swiped or pickpocketed.

Nov 21, 2023 10:11 AM in response to gowtham137

gowtham137 wrote:

I am not sure if it will necessarily “brick your phone” if you can’t turn off when when there is an issue. Having had my phone stolen yesterday, I am absolutely of the view there should be a way to disable the power button should I choose to do so.

The person who stole from me yesterday definitely didn’t carry around faraday bag, and I’d doubt they knew what a faraday bag was - there are many opportunistic thieves looking to make a quick buck and this feature will help prevent it / deter it.

it’s very likely the thief would’ve thrown my phone away on the street if they thought they can’t turn it off and would get tracked. yes, it may be damaged beyond repair but over time might make iPhones less attractive to steal.

If the phone is locked up or frozen to the point that you need to forcibly reboot it, you can't turn the option off if such an option existed.

Activation lock has already gone a long long way toward reducing iPhone thefts. What you're suggesting would create far more problems than it would solve.

Jan 2, 2024 6:26 AM in response to princedirak

princedirak wrote:

I have lost my iPhone with iCloud find activated, but i am not able to track my phone as it is shutdown by the thief and currently offline. So my question is to how helpfull is this feature if someone can easyly turn off an iPhone while locked, making it unbale to be tracked ?

Even if there had been a way to prevent the phone from being powered off, it would have eventually run out of battery. Or, the thieves could have put it in a container that would have prevented it from connecting to the network. They don't need to physically turn it off. I don't know why that concept is so difficult.

How to prevent iPhone from turning off when locked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.